Starting down the DH rabbit hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just remember that when you adust the intermediate stage pressure, do it at about 500 psig. This is an unbalanced diaphragm regulator, and the interstage pressure goes up as the tank pressure decreases. A good rule of thumb, if you don't have a guage to use for the DA Aquamaster, is to adjust the pressure by turning the adjusting nut inward until it leaks slightly, then back it off about 1/4 turn.

SeaRat

PS, you will almost never need to remove the box from the regulator body. There is a special tool for that, and also a slotted vice insert, which is shown in the March 1970 U.S. Navy Diving Manual. But I've never removed that ring, as the seal is almost never compromised.

Just remember that when you adust the intermediate stage pressure, do it at about 500 psig. This is an unbalanced diaphragm regulator, and the interstage pressure goes up as the tank pressure decreases. A good rule of thumb, if you don't have a guage to use for the DA Aquamaster, is to adjust the pressure by turning the adjusting nut inward until it leaks slightly, then back it off about 1/4 turn.

SeaRat

PS, you will almost never need to remove the box from the regulator body. There is a special tool for that, and also a slotted vice insert, which is shown in the March 1970 U.S. Navy Diving Manual. But I've never removed that ring, as the seal is almost never compromised.
Thanks, I'll use that! Until I get an adapter for the hookah port I won't have an IP guage I can use on it.

I have a quick question. I have a DA Aquamaster. With the IP gauge hooked to the hookah port and pressured up, is it supposed to hold pressure after I close the tank valve? When I do this with mine the pressure drops off after a while when I turn the tank off. It doesn`t do this with any of my single hose regs. Don`t know if the double hoses are supposed to or if I need to track down a leak. The reg breathes very well with the tank on but I have very little experience with double hose regs.

Based off diagrams, I believe it should hold... Granted I have literally zero hands on yet with DH regs, so I presume one of the usual suspects will chime inwith a better answer.

I have a quick question. I have a DA Aquamaster. With the IP gauge hooked to the hookah port and pressured up, is it supposed to hold pressure after I close the tank valve? When I do this with mine the pressure drops off after a while when I turn the tank off. It doesn`t do this with any of my single hose regs. Don`t know if the double hoses are supposed to or if I need to track down a leak. The reg breathes very well with the tank on but I have very little experience with double hose regs.

Like any other reg, it should hold pressure after you shut off the tank valve. You got some leak detection work to do. :)

Thanks! I`m on it!

Just remember that when you adust the intermediate stage pressure, do it at about 500 psig.

Absolutely!

This is an unbalanced diaphragm regulator, and the interstage pressure goes up as the tank pressure decreases. A good rule of thumb, if you don't have a guage to use for the DA Aquamaster, is to adjust the pressure by turning the adjusting nut inward until it leaks slightly, then back it off about 1/4 turn.

SeaRat

Yup!

With all respect to John, I've never seen an original AquaMaster or Voit Navy where the body-to-can seal isn't cracked or so thin it needs replacing. The body ring removal tool is cheap (I think Herman carries it) and VDH usually carries the seal itself for a few bucks. My 2psi. YMMV

Scuba Lawyer,

I've had several DA Aquamasters and RAM, and never replaced that seal between the body and the can. I think you've seen some pretty beat-up DA Aquamasters if that is the case from your observation. If the can is dented, or the regulator has been tugged (as with the U.S. Navy divers doing pool harassment with the Aquamaster hoses), then you may see this kind of break in the seal. But under normal use, I've never seen it.

SeaRat

That’s reaching a different level bordering on hoarding. You should consider getting professional help.

The photo is AFTER I received professional help. You should have seen it before. :)

Back
Top Bottom