• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Starting down the DH rabbit hole

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by James79, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Ghetto Diver

Ghetto Diver Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Remove the tape and put a teflon washer inside the adapter.

2. Luis H

Luis H Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    There is nothing wrong with Teflon tape if it is used properly. Just make sure it is all captured between the threads so that of it comes loose inside the fitting.

As an alternate you can use thread sealing Loctite. It is an anaerobic bonding and once it is cured, it is inert. Again, you only put it on the male threads, a thread or two away from the air passage.

As @Perryed mentioned, this fitting doesn't have the sealing nipple, therefore there is no chance of making a metal to metal seal.

I don't know if a Teflon washer will work inside. I just ordered one fitting to take a look at it. I don't know if there is a nice flat surface for the washer to seal. It may work, but I will not know until I actually see one.

I am also going to try an O-ring. That will be my preference. I often use Metric O-rings because they come in a variety of thickness (1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, etc.). I have found a lot more flexibility in finding the best fitting O-ring when I look at the Metric selection. I buy them from McMaster Carr. They have a great selection. I do have to buy them in bags of 50 or 100,but they are not that expensive and I end up with a few spares.

James79 and John C. Ratliff like this.
  3. James79

James79 Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    My concern about o-ring or washer seals is if the passages to the 3/8 openings are too close to the edge of the 9/16 opening, an o-ring or washer may occlude part of the flow path. Mine should get here today or tomorrow..... I'll post what I find.

Perryed likes this.
  4. Luis H

Luis H Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I was thinking about trying the O-ring on the outside pass the threads. I think the thread relief at the base of the male threads could be a good place to try an O-ring. The O-ring would be captured. The female fitting is designed to seal with an O-ring in that spot.

Perryed likes this.
  5. Perryed

Perryed Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yes, an o-ring would work there but would have to be very thin not be totally crushed and deformed to the point where it would lose it`s effectiveness.. That`s why I went with Teflon tape. If you find an 0-ring that works, let me know. I would definitely be interested in a few. Would help defray the cost of you having to buy 50 or so. Loctite is a kind of superglue so it would work, but unscrewing it would be much harder.

6. Seahuntjerry

Seahuntjerry Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    Give to your Buddy Jerry,I'll tell you more bad jokes Mark!

Sam Miller III likes this.
  7. James79

Well, bottom of the bore o-ring is a no go.... I'll play with my o-rings on hand to see if one works as @Luis H describes. But until the rest of my parts come in from VDH, I won't be able to pressurize and check for leaks.
    20191108_211029.jpg

8. James79

Well, with no proper stop to keep an o-ring from pushing further down the outside of the hooka port, it looks like Teflon tape per @Perryed installation is going to be the way to go. My parts from VDH should be in this week, so I'll finish cleaning and get it together this weekend most likely.
    And lest anyone think it's a complaint, I ordered from a small shop at a very busy time. VDH has been totally transparent about delays due to day job and Kracken assembly on their site, and e-mailed updates when my stuff shipped. In short, their service is excellent, and an irreplaceable asset to the community.
    Rant complete,
    James

Perryed and rhwestfall like this.