Starting SSI Stress & Rescue soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LowDrag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone, I am starting the in water portion of stress and rescue soon and wondering what to expect during this training. I would like to hear what you experienced during your stress and rescue course.

Thanks in advance

A lot of the course boils down to being comfortable solving problems under water. Not panicing -- you can fix it without going to the surface. When's the last time you did an UW gear remove/replace?

sorry for the wit above.... S&R class is about awareness, prevention, proactive vs. reactive approaches, and techniques.

hopefully you have an instructor that will challenge you.

I found it to be more mentally draining than physically.....

here is a test: What does MOF mean? :rofl3:

No freaking clue...

A lot of the course boils down to being comfortable solving problems under water. Not panicking -- you can fix it without going to the surface. When's the last time you did an UW gear remove/replace?

It has been awhile but not terribly long ago.

sorry for the wit above.... S&R class is about awareness, prevention, proactive vs. reactive approaches, and techniques.

hopefully you have an instructor that will challenge you.

I found it to be more mentally draining than physically.....

I'll forgive you this time... :D I am sure he will challenge me. He likes to mess with me and try to get me worked up whenever we are around each other.

No longer an active SSI instructor so I can't give details of their course but in general you should have a fun time while getting dunked, rescued, physically and mentally challenged. Oh a remember, you paid to have that much fun. :wink:

Plan on reviewing rescue techniques from OW ie: Cramp removal, tows, emergency ascents and then build on them to locating as missing diver, surfacing an unconscious diver and providing care all the way to EMS taking over.

Hopefully your course has a decent number of participants. You will experience the different personality types. Who's the take charge guy, the "I'll save him" guy, the blank stare guy..and so on.

Mine focused around spotting signs of panic in myself and my buddy and being able to take care of the situation without surfacing. Also dealing with entanglement issues gear issues that sort of thing. We also reviewed tows and surface rescues and the like. It was a good class.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

I saw a video on YouTube where the pair of instructors were constantly messing with their student. Anyone have a class like that? Or is that someone's idea of a joke?

Define messing with. If you mean presenting unbriefed scenarios like the instructor suddenly losing consciousness while giving an in water briefing, then yes. Have done that. If you mean actually harassing them, then no. Having a volunteer give less than accurate info as to where they last saw their missing buddy, just as a distressed diver who actually has lost their buddy may do, absolutely. If everything goes as expected it's not an actual rescue class. IMO.

I too had to bring my instructor up from depth because he had randomly gone limp.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom