Starting Tech - Side-mount or Back-mount Questions

If starting Tech today would you choose

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alekath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I am beginning my Tech Diving in the next 6 months, I am currently facing the choice of Side-mount vs Back-mount. I would like to get some basic training before my TDI AN&DP to familiarise myself with my chosen setup and as such am leaning towards Side-mount as its a common course offered, Intro to Tech doesn't appear to be available.

1. Should I pick one discipline and focus on that (i.e. SM and never do BM), or start BM and then progress to SM?
2. Is BM becoming rare/outdated (in Australia)?
3. If I choose BM to begin should I chose a regulator set that is good for both (i.e. Apeks DST W XTX50)?

I have read some previous posts on this topic from a few years back, but was keen to see if the general consensus has changed over the last few years with side mount becoming more common.

1. recommend pick one based on what's available and common in your area, but more importantly the configuration most suited to your diving
2. no idea, but the "Fad" in the industry is sidemount so finding doubles courses is harder and harder
3. yes, the BM regulators are more picky IMO than sidemount. The DST is a good reg, but in doubles especially you really want that bottom port. Sidemount that port depends on your school of thought, but in doubles it's universally better

Ideally you should try both, but more and more people is getting through SM
But doubles have their place, specially negotiating a ladder on wavy ocean dives.
It's a matter of background and habitude.
For me both are ok

As an avid sidemounter I adamantly feel if you’re moving into tech start with bm. I greatly prefer sm for my diving. But I also don’t dive off boats. Regardless I think everyone should start in bm.

as an avid sidemounter for the last 10 years, I greatly prefer backmount especially when on boats.... Sidemount only in caves for me

As an avid sidemounter I adamantly feel if you’re moving into tech start with bm. I greatly prefer sm for my diving. But I also don’t dive off boats. Regardless I think everyone should start in bm.
Same.
BM is a simple transition from single tank diving
SM is a pita off boats and pointless unless you are in one of the rare places on the planet with SM sized things in the ocean. If the wreck is so collapsed that you need SM being inside is doubly foolish. The truly competent bring the right equipment for the dive. A wreck dive in the gulf stream off a boat? BM all the way.

SM is a fad promulgated by people who aren't wise enough to see that every dive has a "best" equipment option and sometimes OC SM is it and sometimes it isn't

as an avid sidemounter for the last 10 years, I greatly prefer backmount especially when on boats.... Sidemount only in caves for me

These posts make a lot of sense to me. I don't see me going SM. Nothing wrong with it, but it is just not something I require at this point.

DW

Same.
BM is a simple transition from single tank diving
SM is a pita off boats and pointless unless you are in one of the rare places on the planet with SM sized things in the ocean. If the wreck is so collapsed that you need SM being inside is doubly foolish. The truly competent bring the right equipment for the dive. A wreck dive in the gulf stream off a boat? BM all the way.

SM is a fad promulgated by people who aren't wise enough to see that every dive has a "best" equipment option and sometimes OC SM is it and sometimes it isn't

Could not agree more, and very well said.

DW

Succinctly
Magnificent!

are we still selling sand to those desert folk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom