• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Stay active as a PADI DM while also being a CMAS* Instructor

Discussion in 'Q and A for Scuba Certification Agencies' started by Jonas Giske, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Jonas Giske

Jonas Giske Garibaldi

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Hi, so a little peculiar case;
    My dive-club uses CMAS as a certification-agency, while my local dive-store uses PADI.
    I'm a DM with PADI for the moment, but not active in PADI.

My club wants me to take a CMAS* Instructor course, which would be really cool.
    Thing is, when I'm first going through all the trouble with the (super-expensive) medical exam, insurance, etc, could I also do some DM-work with my dive-shop on the side? Or would PADI deny me "active status" for also working with CMAS?

2. EireDiver606

EireDiver606 DIR Practitioner

You can do both. Teach club trainees for practically free in your club and get paid to teach at your dive shop

Jonas Giske likes this.
  3. Jonas Giske

Jonas Giske Garibaldi

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thanks! Thats the plan yes.

4. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor Staff Member

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    There is certainly nothing to stop you from doing this. You can even be an active instructor for multiple agencies at the same time.

pconsidine likes this.
  5. pconsidine

pconsidine ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yes you can do both as long as you have liability insurance and a active PADI DM.

6. mainedvr

mainedvr Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Once you reach a certain level of PADI I believe it would be IDC Staff, they want you to just be PADI but that would be the only time I am aware of that they would want you to be faithful to them only. :)

7. mmerriman

mmerriman Captain

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Not exactly correct - in order to move to course director, you must have:
    For 12 months before the course start date: a. Have no verified quality assurance complaints. b. Conducted all PADI certification courses and experience programs using methods consistent with PADI Standards and philosophy as outlined in the PADI Instructor Manual and PADI’s Guide to Teaching. c. Used the complete PADI System of diver education exclusively, including all appropriate PADI educational materials. d. Taught PADI Diver courses exclusively. Exceptions: students referred from other certification organizations for completion of entry-level training or certain technical, commercial and other courses not currently offered by PADI.

pconsidine likes this.