Stay Away from Florida Keys Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you sure about that? Canadian passenger vessels are subject to regulation just like in the US by the USCG. In the US, there is an UPV (uninspected passenger vessel) which can carry up to 6 passengers (6-pack) - in Canada, the cutoff is 12 passengers. Passenger Vessels FAQ - Transport Canada

Actually, In the USA you may have an uninspected 12 pack if the vessel is over 100 gross tons. S/V Juliet is one such vessel. We have toyed with making the Spree another.

Actually, In the USA you may have an uninspected 12 pack if the vessel is over 100 gross tons. S/V Juliet is one such vessel. We have toyed with making the Spree another.

There you go...

I should have added to my comment, that the gross tonnage is part the determining factor in Canada and not the length of the boat.

I'm certified to carry 123 divers. That doesn't mean I should.
:shocked2: You're kidding...?! :confused:

You want to cater to the wealthiest...? :crafty:

Original poster: Sounds like you didn't do your homework when choosing a dive op and you would have preferred a 6 pack type of boat.
There really is no reason for you to not have grabbed your reg and checked your own tank pressure rather than bother employees trying to get divers checked in and the boat ready. I dont know if his tone was innapropriate but he may have been having a bad day and should have been professional.

I used Florida Keys Dive Center in March 2010. Total opposite of your experiance. Big empty boat with 8 on board and 2 other boats tied to the dock with no customers to fill them. It was obvious that the operation would be a hive of activity in summer, especially on a holiday weekend. I'd use these guys again, but not at peak season. When the customer demand allowed for the staff to be relaxed and friendly, they were. I can't imagine visiting this op when they were serving 70-100 divers a morning. Anyone with the observation skills of Steve Wonder could figure out the score at this dive op on a holiday weekend.

Their boats were powered by John Deere engines that I found very impressive and fume free.

well almost 40 posts and several days later, the original poster "has not been seen again".
He originally started at least 2 threads to bash his experience with this dive op.

I call these type posters "Seagull Posters".

Why? because they fly in from no where, make a lot of noise, crap all over the place, and they fly off not to be seen again .....

He may not log on every day, or - maybe he just saw that he lost early and shut up...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom