Staying Alive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kindle version is available now from Amazon... sold a couple of copies. I also signed up for the combo... buy the book and the kindle version is only a couple of bucks more.

Have kindle store in US (used to live there) but now in Italy. Order on paper in Italy and kindle edition is full price .... bugger. I'll buy it anyway and good is that the paper is also shipped in Italy by the Italian store (often you have to get it from the US with a lot of expenses) ....

EDIT: Now the book version is not available in Italy (I should have ordered last week ....)

By the way I am a pilot: Human factors, risk management and incident/accident analisys are part of my main job - you did a great job in putting it down for diving (partly through the Kindle version).

Happy landings (ops) diving :)

Fabio

Last edited:
Just finished the Kindle version. Very well written throughout. I too am a (former) airline pilot and (former) member of several aviation safety committees. Good job on making human factors, risk management, and incident/accident analysis understandable for divers.

I really liked the part at the end about the "weakest" diver being the leader. This concept needs to get adopted by the OW recreational community.

IMHO, Staying Alive should be read before Six Skills. The former is about proper mindset, the later more about technique/skills. Without the proper mindset the importance of the skills isn't as apparent. Anyway, they both belong in the careful diver's library.

Thank you... much appreciated.

Wish I could take credit for the weakest diver leads concept... but picked that up from PSD and commercial SOPs. Essentially, the lead hand (most experienced diver) most often stands backup on surface when the job requires certain techniques or environments. Makes sense in the recreational world and, as you say, not sure why it is not more commonly taught.

It's best to write it for Kindle and then format it into a book. Easier than the other way around I have heard.

Just bought the Kindle version and will enjoy reading it in a few weeks on my way to Saba!

Hi Steve, looking forward to buy and read your new book. I find really useful the lastbook Six skills. Are you going to be in London at the LIDS with your book?

Sent from my JY-S1 using Tapatalk

Hi Steve, looking forward to buy and read your new book. I find really useful the lastbook Six skills. Are you going to be in London at the LIDS with your book?

Sent from my JY-S1 using Tapatalk

Thank you... I hope you enjoy it.

I will not be at LIDS this weekend. I will be in Chicago and will have books with me but no booth (there doing research for a client).

My next schedule trip to England is not until June and then again in September for EuroTEK.

Have kindle store in US (used to live there) but now in Italy. Order on paper in Italy and kindle edition is full price .... bugger. I'll buy it anyway and good is that the paper is also shipped in Italy by the Italian store (often you have to get it from the US with a lot of expenses) ....

EDIT: Now the book version is not available in Italy (I should have ordered last week ....)

By the way I am a pilot: Human factors, risk management and incident/accident analisys are part of my main job - you did a great job in putting it down for diving (partly through the Kindle version).

Happy landings (ops) diving :)

Fabio

I gave up on waiting for the combo to appear in either USA or UK store & bought a kindle version many weeks ago. Kindle requires that you buy from USA (apparently main) store when in a non-Amzon store country (such as Finland).

TIP: Those of us in EU can however buy from any EU Amazon bookstore w/ no import costs and excellent delivery times. Try trolling each and every Amazon Europe store (france, Germany, Italy, spain & UK):
*** many times you find books and other items the other stores don't have, even things the other stores don't seem to know exist **

Twice I've found PAL/region 2 dvds of USA TV series at Amazon-Germany that the USA & UK stores said were sold out & no longer made in PAL/region 2. Makes me wonder how many sales one Amazon has lost because another Amazon said the product doesn't exist.

I did order the paper version and ended up having to pay $11.50 cash on collecting. A total rip-off by the shipping company, especially if shipping has been paid for already and the duty is $1.50. I know it is small change in the grand scheme of things but it is a question of principle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 185
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom