Staying at Hanua Kai on Maui, looking to do a few dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Have never been to Hawaii before, but will be there in December for 10 days for a birthday trip... any place to recommend for a couple of days of diving (mixed group, some newer divers) near Hauna Kai?

Thanks!

Do you mean Honua Kai in Ka'anapali? You've got several options near there and others in Lahaina nearby.

Tiny Bubbles Scuba is nearby in the pink pyramid. They do several shore dives in that area. There's also an easy entry and very popular shore dive at the Sheraton Black Rock nearby.

Old Airport Beach is a shallow dive nearby with a simple entry off the beach but it's not great till pretty far our - we did it on scooters. In one area near the beach there's some interesting rubble - sugar ships used to load there so there's some old masts and junk - we spotted several octos in it.

Nearest tank rentals are probably in Kahana Gateway Mall or in Lahaina at Extended Horizons or Lahaina Divers. Both also keep boats there and dive Lanai - the signature dives there are the Cathedrals and all your divers can dive them. Lahaina has a couple big Newton dive boats.

Much of that West Maui in area is generically referred to as Turtle Town. They used to live on the Carpathian wreck but it's deep. Kapalua Beach is another decent shore dive a little north of you and is one of the nicest beaches on Maui. Most Maui beach dives are better at either point where the lava met the ocean.

It can be more of an advanced dive but ask them about Sharkfin at Lanai for your group also. There were some real beginners on our boat so they moored in the bay and swam toward the island to find octos in the wall. We chose to go around the outside of the rock - it drops fast and the current was ripping but as we were flying past there were schools of Moorish Idols and Butterflys holding their own in the current. Also about a dozen white tips along the edges. Probably should be advanced for that side - we could only advance by hugging the bottom and kicking our brains out between depressions in the bottom.

Lahaina also sends one of their boats south to Molokini Crater a couple times a week, that's a good all levels dive. Inside the crater is very protected and shallow, better divers can head either to the points (depending on the moring) or back toward Maui. We always found whitetips resting in the sand there. Once I found a turquoise Green Scorpionfish in the Staghorn there. Look up occasionally, you may see a Manta fly over.

I'm sending you a PM

Wow, thanks so much! This is really helpful...

Thanks! This is just going to be a few dives added on to a big family trip, so not planning on bringing the JJ... maybe next time! :)

I stayed at Lahaina in June.

Lahaina Divers to do the Cathedrals is worth the trip.

Also did Molokini Crater with Maui Dreams. Lots of fish, saw an octopus out during the daytime.

My favorite was shore diving from Mala Wharf. You have to wade a way out over semi slippery rocks, but it's worth the effort. Lots of fish, a turtle cleaning station at the end of the rubble. Sleeping sharks under the old pier debris. Max depth 30' so you can be under a long time.

I'm not a fan of cattle boats like Lahaina Divers has. With your experience, I think you'd find diving with them frustrating.

I just did a dive with Dive Maui near Mala Pier and was impressed with the crew. It's a smaller boat, so fewer divers in the water.

There are several good operators for boat dives out of Kihei, but they leave early in the AM and it's a bit of a drive to get there from your location.

Aloha

If your looking for boat diving I would definitely recommend Dive Maui. Like Seaweed Doc said small boat and way more laid back diving. I do guided Scooter and Shore diving. Check out my website. I do very small groups or individual to ensure everyone has a blast. If you have any questions just ask.

Scuba Steve
Maui Dive Connection
Www.mauidiveconnection.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom