Steady shots? Try a tripod...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humm... I don't even know the brand. I ordered a couple brands online and went with the lightest weight one... I'll look it up in my Amazon orders next time i am on the laptop. I remember it was cheap, like $8.

Awesome video and good tip on the tripod!

The tripod I have been using is a
Luxebell Flexible Tripod Stand 10.6"

Which is unfortunately no longer available from Amazon but does appear for sale on other sites.

The key feature for me was the lightweight construction - each leg is a simple, but very flexible aluminum rod covered with foam. Overall it is much lighter than the 'ball and sock' plastic mini tripod I tried out. I've used two of these on over 100 dives/freedives in the last 6 months. The screws are seriously rusted and I'll replace the tripods soon. But they have worked great otherwise and the price is right, $10 on ebay.

Similar tripods on Amazon are:
iGadgitz Large Universal Flexible Foam Mini Tripod
Kamisafe KINGJOY KT-600S Octopus Style Mini Tripod

Also important to me is the height, I tried a very small ball and socket tripod - it is in a few shots in the video - but I didn't like it because it was too low, but it was much less cumbersome.

Great for pictures - not great for whatever life you set it on. Bad on you.

A tripod is the best image stabilization you can get. Makes for cinema-quality scenes. I like the gorilla tripod shown by large_diver because it has flexible arms so you can fold it up when not needed and can be adjusted for non-level surfaces.

The limitation with a tripod is having a base to set up on. As the poster above alluded to, that mound of brain coral is not a base for your tripod but I'll assume you are taking care to set up on sand or bare rock.

The lack of "sand or bare rock" in most places I dive is why a tripod would be next to useless for me. There is marine life almost everywhere. I try to touch nothing that could harbor some form of marine life. Even bare sand could conceivably shelter tiny animals, though I would be much less concerned about bare sand than coral. Personally, I don't think I have the knowledge to be able to judge what it is that I am setting a tripod down on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom