Steady shots? Try a tripod...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a tripod for one of my 360 view videos. The main issue I had was having the fish swim away while I futzed with the cameras and tripod. I used a 2lb ankle weight to stabilize it. Free swimming with the tripod was interesting...it isn't a bad steady cam.

Great for pictures - not great for whatever life you set it on. Bad on you.

I'm about as anal as they come when it comes to not touching marine life....and never go for a shot in situations where it's clear there isn't room for me to get my rig in position without touching something that shouldn't be touched

I've been using mine for about a year. I first took it on a trip to Raja Ampat and Lembeh last year. Even in RA where marine life is about as abundant as anywhere in the world, there were plenty of instances where it was usable where there was a rubble or sandy bottom. In the muck of Lembeh it was extremely useful. Tripods can also help with stability in situations where you can only touch down with only 1 or 2 of the tripod legs

I'm about as anal as they come when it comes to not touching marine life....and never go for a shot in situations where it's clear there isn't room for me to get my rig in position without touching something that shouldn't be touched

I've been using mine for about a year. I first took it on a trip to Raja Ampat and Lembeh last year. Even in RA where marine life is about as abundant as anywhere in the world, there were plenty of instances where it was usable where there was a rubble or sandy bottom. In the muck of Lembeh it was extremely useful. Tripods can also help with stability in situations where you can only touch down with only 1 or 2 of the tripod legs

That may be your approach. However, I think that most "divers" with a new camera or GoPro won't be so careful. Hell, way, way too many "divers", that I've seen off boats, crash into and through coral without any help from a camera setup. I just think it's a very bad idea to encourage the use of an item that can and will do damage to reefs. If they don't have their buoyancy and trim under control they shouldn't even be thinking about using a camera.

. . . Even in RA where marine life is about as abundant as anywhere in the world, there were plenty of instances where it was usable where there was a rubble or sandy bottom. In the muck of Lembeh it was extremely useful. . . .

I was wondering about Lembeh. I mean, at first it looked like nothing but desolate black sand and mud to us, but we learned there are all kinds of strange, rare creatures, some amazingly tiny, lurking everywhere. I would be hesitant to touch the bottom, but that's just me.

way too many "divers", that I've seen off boats, crash into and through coral without any help from a camera setup. I just think it's a very bad idea to encourage the use of an item that can and will do damage to reefs. If they don't have their buoyancy and trim under control they shouldn't even be thinking about using a camera.

I am with you on that for sure. It is in the video, a clear plea for the inexperienced to not try this in sensitive areas. In fact, watching experienced divers 'crash into and through coral' was part of why I made the video. Action cameras have only be around a few years, yet they are everywhere. Inevitably they will be linked to tripods underwater, there are already a few videos on YT that discuss it. And 3D videographers will naturally gravitate to tripods. So I figured I'd make a video that would emphasize conservation and care first, mixed with minimal impact techniques. Better to educate first, present mindful techniques and inspire discussion.

I was wondering about Lembeh. I mean, at first it looked like nothing but desolate black sand and mud to us, but we learned there are all kinds of strange, rare creatures, some amazingly tiny, lurking everywhere. I would be hesitant to touch the bottom, but that's just me.

Agree...you definitely have to be very careful.

That may be your approach. However, I think that most "divers" with a new camera or GoPro won't be so careful. Hell, way, way too many "divers", that I've seen off boats, crash into and through coral without any help from a camera setup. I just think it's a very bad idea to encourage the use of an item that can and will do damage to reefs. If they don't have their buoyancy and trim under control they shouldn't even be thinking about using a camera.

Sadly, it isn't just GoPro divers....I've seen too many DSLR/megarig folks trying to wedge their huge camera rigs into places they don't belong and/or using coral to steady themselves

Yep - makes me want to cut hoses.

Sea life and where you put your tripod aside, I have always felt like shots that have a camera in motion have always been great for underwater films. Water moves, it pushes and pulls you and is rarely ever still. While it can be really difficult to get smooth motion shots underwater, if you get a good one, it does more to pull the viewer in.

That being said, I think a tripod would be great for certain shots, like divers entering a wreck, or swimming past the camera to illustrate travel and exploration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom