Steady shots? Try a tripod...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thanks for the details. I've been using a tripod for about a year now.....ultimately the one you choose depends on the overall weight of the rig. I have a larger one since I have a tray/light set-up that I attach it too.

View attachment 405273

Hi Large diver! I've got inspired by your Tripod/Setup. Which tripod model do you use? Beside that how do you make it negative? I am thinking to drill some tiny holes in each and every ball. What do you think?

Hey Jujjio,

Here is an image of my tripod and tray set-up. The Tripod is a Gorillapod made by Joby. This is a link to the specific model. It looks a little different than mine, as the product has been updated:
GorillaPod 3K - Professional-grade ABS flexible tripod capable of holding 3kg of DSLR or Mirrorless Camera

The Joby Gorillapods have specific weight ratings - I would weigh your rig to make sure you buy the model that can handle the weight

I am not 100% sure if it is neutral or not...but my entire set-up including tray and lights it is definitely negative. I am not sure I would drill holes in it, as it might affect the durability. It is plastic and will not last forever when being used in salt water. This is the second one of these I've used.....the first lasted 150 dives or so before one of the legs fell off underwater when I wasn't paying attention..... Again, it's plastic

Hope this helps

Isle%20of%20Shoals%20-%20June%202017%2010-XL.jpg

It is certainly appropriate to protect what remains of the ocean play ground -- and I applaud all of you who are so passionate about protecting it.

I also, as a long term UW still and movie photographer, ( Charter member of LA Underwater photographic society- 1957 and co founder of Orange county UW Photo society in 1960s) I think I understand you also have the same passion ---but have an equally strong desire to obtain "that Shot!"

So there is a fine line to walk...

One of the members of LA Co UW photo society and fellow LA Co UW instructor, friend and mini mentor was Col John D Craig-- I would suggest that you refer to @MaxBottomtime s thread Los Angeles County Diving Education film which was narrated by Col Craig -- further google him for his bio... A very long exciting life who contributed much to professional and recreational diving and UW photography

John used and suggested that we UW photographers obtain a WW11 USMC surplus K bar knife, (now expensive collectors items) weld a 1/4 X ??? (whatever the screw size is for a camera) on top of the handle.

When preparing to photograph a subject requiring a tri-pod steadiness, the K Bar was screwed into the camera and the K bar knife blade thrust into the oceans sub straight -- Instant tripod.

Several years later recreational dive knives appeared with metal tops and were substituted for a K bar
even later divers began using large spikes as a substitute for knives

For those long swooping establishing shots we made "wings' from 1/4 inch ply-wood attached to the top of the camera and literally flew the camera into the shot-- They have apparently disappeared from UW photography

And that was the way it was... (How many of you readers recall my dedicated column "The Way It was" in the national dive magazine Discover Diving -- a long time ago

Samuel Miller,III

Thank you Large_diver, I will for sure buy this particular model, and try to get some cool videos in Lembeh/Alor next October, and like Sam Miller III mentioned, truly respect our beloved ocean, I just curious now to know how you managed to insert a longer screw, in order to tight it up together with your tray.
Truly appreciate.

Ok nice n' easy than, unfortunately my tray is missing the thread, but maybe the main screw can be removed...

Back
Top Bottom