Steel 120 tank - any regrets buying one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to purchase my first tank & have been considering a XS Scuba Steel 120.

I'm 6'5 so I feel the extra tank length is ok for me.

For anyone who has purchased a 120, do you have any regrets buying one?
Has the extra length and weight compared to a steel 100 caused any issues?

I have 2 Steel 120’s and love them I’m 6’2”. I have a high sac rate so the little extra gas keeps my dive to the same as people
With smaller tanks

I got a new Faber 120 for a great price on sale with free shipping and no tax. I am happy with it, but would not get another one at full price. You can buy 2 AL80s for the cost of a 120.

If you have any inkling you might want to go into tec, consider a 100 that you can use to make doubles with in the future.

120s are really heavy out of the water (40 lbs or so). Something to consider if you take long walks to shore dive.

In the water you can use a little less lead than you would use for an AL80.

120 is a lot of gas. I can get 2 dives from 1 tank. Or I can use it to test regulators that I service and then use it for a dive without having to get it topped off first.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

120s are really heavy out of the water (40 lbs or so). Something to consider if you take long walks to shore dive.
In the water you can use a little less lead than you would use for an AL80.
Thanks. The extra 5lbs of dry weight was something I was thinking about, as I often do beach dives which have long-ish walks.

When I rent steel 80's or 100's I'm using around 4-5lbs less lead compared to an AL80.
Would it not be around the same for a steel 120?

As you mentioned, I have also been considering a steel 100.

What diving are you doing? What size tank are you using now? Are you limited by gas or NDL? How much gas are you returning with on dives? Would the extra gas be a benefit or a waste?

I have 6 of them, so I'd say no....

That said, @rhwestfall brings up a valid point that if you already have 100's and aren't gas limited, the 120's will likely be more comfortable for you while you're trying to sit, but if you have 100's now and aren't gas limited then you can't really justify it.

Of note, I only recommend buying tanks in pairs. A myriad of reasons for that, but I'd consider looking for a used set of sidemount or doubles tanks and breaking them down to singles. A single tank doesn't do you much good if you are trying to do 2 dives a day...

...For anyone who has purchased a 120, do you have any regrets buying one?..

I'll echo all the other Great Divers above @asmfish , @GJC , @tbone1004 ,,,I have 2 Faber LP121's steels. I dive them every week (tomorrow too!). During lobster season when I have to kick like crazy to cover as much real estate in 40 mins, I'll almost drain the 160 cuft of gas stuffed inside, that's 2 aluminum 80's on one tank! (remember we breathe cubic feet, not psi). But in the off season when I'm going so slow and trying to sneak up on fish, I'll only use half my tank and it's almost a waste. So you really have to ask yourself what type of diving you are doing, sprints or glides.
I've got my AARP card and don't kid yourself, those LP121's are heavy and big as water heaters. But underwater they definitely get the job done. I'm in the minority that HP tanks are a waste of money, but your mileage (an back muscles) may vary.

I love my LP120s. I also had HP120s and found it hard to get them fully filled to 3400. Not so much with those LPs. :D :D :D

BTW, I refer to them as my "water heaters" and have even side mounted them.

oh, of note since LP121's came up from @Johnoly and @The Chairman
I have 6x PST HP120's that I use for doubles, and used to use for sidemount.
I have 2x PST LP120's that I also use for doubles when I need stupid amounts of gas
I have 4x Faber LP121's that I use for sidemount and CCR bailout.

The Fabers are my primary sidemount tanks and have been for several years, the HP120's are my primary backmount tanks and have been for a decade.

I don't like the Faber 121's for backmount as much because they're quite light *very similar buoyancy to an AL80* which is great for sidemount, but doesn't offer a lot of benefit in the ballast department

I used to dive exclusively with HP120s. Loved themn especially on my deep (200 fsw) dives. However one died due to over-expansion from hot fills on land and the other from wet fills on the dive boat. Now I dive exclusively with neutral buoyancy Al 80 tanks... they are over 40 years old and still look as clean inside as when they left the factory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom