Steel 72 worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dylanshoemaker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi I'm looking to purchase my first tank and have come across a couple of rough looking "vintage" steel 72s. The guy selling them says they are from the mid 60s, they were hydro tested last year, and he will do a visual before purchase. One concern i have is whether they will be as functional as modern tanks. Would older valves be a concern? Not really sure what to look for, but he wants $65 a piece or two for $110. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

depends on what valve they have. Here's my rule for 72's

If they are 1/2" tapered pipe thread, no dice, not going to bother looking at.

If they're in hydro, do they still have the + rating? If so, then usually a pretty good buy, especially at that price

Are they lined? If so, I usually pass unless the price is less than $40

If they are in hydro, especially with a + rating, and they are unlined, they'll take any modern 3/4" scuba valve or you can just use the one on there if it is in service. Good to go.

Assuming they pass all tests & valves are in good shape.
Great little tanks. I have 2 and drag them all over Key Largo. I like the weight of them.

I have a very low SAC rate, so volume isn't an issue for me when everyone else has 80s or bigger. If you are a heavy breather, these might not be for you.

Caveat/Rant:
I recently left my 2 LP72s to be filled at one shop I had been diving with a couple of days.
The fill station guy said, "I wondered who's those were. Don't bring them back here. I'll fill them this time, but not again. They are older than I am. There's no good reason when you can buy AL80s at the "big store around the corner" for $150."
"For your information, they continue to pass hydro & viz, have been tumbled. I do own about 12 AL80s. If I wanted to dive AL80's I wouldn't bother to drag these all over town and dive the tanks provided on your boat without all this hassle."
I did report tell his boss about this myopic conversation.
End Rant

My other issue: finding tank boots for one of them.

I love my 72's

You should be able to see the difference in the size of the next from 1/2 to 3/4 but if in doubt get a 1/2 pipe nipple and see if it fits. You will want to open up the tank so you can see if it is lined or not.
Herb

I remember when the AL80's first started being sold... It was the newest sliced bread... People were dumping steel 72's like crazy... And it has come full circle.. :wink:

Jim...

A couple of clarifications, there are 3 different neck types on S72, not 2. The 1/2 tapered, the 3/4 straight and the much less common 1/2 straight. The latter 2 use Orings for seal and are great tanks.....as long as you have a good valve for the 1/2 straight. I personally have a little issue using any steel tank as they overweight me in warm fresh water but with a wet suit or in salt water they are fine. Age wise, there is nothing at all wrong with steel tanks of this age and even older although you may have issues with moron dive shops. You can tell if the tank has tapered threads very easily, if you can see several threads between the tank neck and the valve it's a tapered valve- if you don't see threads then it's either a 1/2 or 3/4 straight neck. As best as I know, only Healthways and Sportways (aka Waterlung) sold the straight 1/2 tanks and they are somewhat uncommon although I was given a very nice one a few days ago. When looking at the tanks be sure to REMOVE the boot if it has one and check for rust damage. It is common for nice looking tanks to be in very bad condition under a boot. There is nothing at all wrong with old valves as long as they are functional. That said, if they are J valves, please learn how to use them. It's not hard but you must understand them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom