Question Steel Faber HP 80 vs Steel Worthington X7-80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jowe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Steel Worthington HP 100 - perfectly happy with it, but I'm also very good on air, so also having a smaller lighter tank for the more "exciting" shore exits would be nice.

Was going to go for another Worthy when one comes up for sale, but was advised by my Advanced Buoyancy instructor that I'd do better with the Steel Faber HP 80 as it is a bit taller and lighter than the Steel Worthington X7-80. When I looked at the specs (charts vary so I made my own from manufacturer charts here and on dive shop sites - attached) there's not a huge amount of height weight difference.

Of course I'd also like minimal buoyancy changes from full to empty...

I'd just go with the recommendation, but almost everyone seems to prefer Worthington's...So seeking opinions, data, 1st hand experience of both, etc., here, please.

Attachments

• Tank Specification Chart-JoW.docx.pdf
    52 KB · Views: 24
From numerous past threads, unless you're pretty short, an HP80 (even the Faber) won't trim out well.

Of course I'd also like minimal buoyancy changes from full to empty...
I don't understand what you mean by this. An HP80 and an AL80 have the identical buoyancy change from full to empty. That's simply a function of the gas you consume.

I've taken an AL80 on numerous shore exits in big waves in Hawaii (some where I'm just hanging vertically on the on the lava rock waiting for the next swell to help clamor the last couple ft). They work well for "sporty" exits.

From numerous past threads, unless you're pretty short, an HP80 (even the Faber) won't trim out well.

I don't understand what you mean by this. An HP80 and an AL80 have the identical buoyancy change from full to empty. That's simply a function of the gas you consume.

I've taken an AL80 on numerous shore exits in big waves in Hawaii (some where I'm just hanging vertically on the on the lava rock waiting for the next swell to help clamor the last couple ft). They work well for "sporty" exits.
Ah, thanks, I was too specific with my search and I missed those posts... I'm a 5'8" female. And, just to be extra special, I was insufficiently specific in my post... Just updated it to add steel everywhere (I confess, I didn't know Worthington ever produced Aluminum scuba tanks) - I only dive steel as I live near cold ocean.

Your exits sound quite something. They'd certainly help me not get too spoiled by the "easier" diving when I visit warm water!

Your exits sound quite something
Many fond memories, but things have gotten significantly tamer as I have gotten older. :wink: BTW, I wouldn't consider 5'8" short enough to like HP80s -- I'd suggest trying to rent/borrow if you're still thinking of going down that road. Best of luck in the search!

I feel like hp80s should be reserved for people 5'6" (168cm) or shorter. If your 5'3" they work pretty well, past 5'6" not so not so much. LP80s are taller, not as compact but comparable weightwise, and nice tanks for a huge range of folks. Slightly less heavy than hp100s in the same basic form factor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom