Steel Tank Condemned: Cracks in Threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked some follow-up questions. Additional information:

-Two people did inspect it prior to calling me. One of the two is a DOT inspector.

-They expressed that this is the first spun steel tank with a thread crack that they’ve handled.

It just keeps getting worse! There is no such thing as a spun steel tank.
The manufacturing processes are either deep drawing and then rounding the neck and shoulder, or rounding the top and bottom of a steel cylinder and welding up the rounded bottom.

Michael

It just keeps getting worse! There is no such thing as a spun steel tank.
The manufacturing processes are either deep drawing and then rounding the neck and shoulder, or rounding the top and bottom of a steel cylinder and welding up the rounded bottom.

Michael

Ok. Let me just reach out to the defunct manufacturer (see @runsongas post) and tell them that they are incorrect in stamping “SPUN” on the neck of the tank.

Internets, lol.

Everyone is going for the jugular and condemning the LDS and even accusing them of committing a federal offense :rofl3::rofl3:

There should be a punishment for "condemning" an LDS without authority and verification I think.

Exactly what @runsongas posted. A spun steel Asahi tank made in Japan.
I've still never seen one, but it would make more sense on one of these.

Everyone is going for the jugular and condemning the LDS and even accusing them of committing a federal offense :rofl3::rofl3:

There should be a punishment for "condemning" an LDS without authority and verification I think.

There have been far too many shops that have condemned tanks and come to find out they were perfectly fine. I had a buddy have an AL40 condemned last year by a so called "tech shop" who's owner writes articles for TDI. It was VIP'd by them the year prior and condemned the next year. Why was it condemned? A crack in the threads. What was it actually? The machining mark from the tap. I took it to a hydro shop and had them hydro it and it passed both the hydro and an eddy current VIP. The shop refused to replace the tank until they were threatened with a lawsuit for unlawful destruction of property. I bet if you look through the archives here there will be several dozen threads about tanks that were wrongfully condemned. It is a safe first assumption that the person VIPing the tank screwed up, especially when it's something exceedingly uncommon.
This shop happens to be one of the only ones with a DOT certified inspector, so happy days, but this is certainly a zebra. When you hear hoofbeats, think horse, not zebra. The horse in this case is a dive shop wrongfully condemning a tank and this circumstance is certainly a zebra based on the surprise by at least 4 tank inspectors that have piped in

The dive shop called the customer and asked him to come down to check it out by his own eyes and to approve the condemnation. They didn't take it upon themselves to destroy the client's property, they invited him to come in person to check it and for him to approve or disapprove or walk out with the tank, professional and by the book operation.

If everyone was judged by the sins of those that proceeded him, we will have to execute 90% of the world population. It isn't right now matter how much you try to rationalize it.

I’ll agree this chain instantly went for the juggler on the lds. But having had a tank wrongfully condemned, that thought was the first thing to come to mind. But this lds did call and ask for the tank to be reviewed. +1 for that lds. In my vip class, my lds did talk about having to inspect new tanks because they had seen some (I think Japanese) tanks come in with really bad folds and/or messed up threads. Basically unusable right out of the box. Never had cracks, but I suppose even that is possible. If pictures are available it would be great. Its rare but sometimes things get past quality control, even more so when buying outside main manufacturers. Good luck with the next tank!!

I would call the tank manufactures as long as its not PST as they are long gone. If it fact its a potential defect they may cover it our work something out with you. Can't blame a dive shop for doing there job.

Back
Top Bottom