Steel tank life and value?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a pair of Worthington HP100's I bought new back in 2008 I believe. They've been hydro'd once, and I'm about to drop them off for round two.

I rarely ever dive anymore, which makes me sad. They have sat full since the last VIP a year ago, and are now due for hydro this month. I'm trying to get all my gear back in order so I can dive more, so I intend to drop the tanks off today.

Just out of curiosity, how much life can I expect to get out of these tanks? The galvanized exterior still looks good. Removed the Nitrox bands and no significant corrosion underneath.

I have a third one that was hydro'd for the first time last year, so it's about 6 years old. I'm thinking about just selling that. What's a 6 year old XS Scuba HP100 with convertible valve worth nowadays used? I will get it VIP'd and it has 4 years left on first hydro.

IMG-1114.jpg

.. What's a 6 year old XS Scuba HP100 with convertible valve worth nowadays used? ...
Good news is that tank is VERY popular in SE FLA and will sell quickly if priced right. Bad news is a used steel tank typically sells quickly for 50% of current new retail value. If you don't want it gone quickly then just price it higher and see if a fish bites.

I have a pair of Worthington HP100's I bought new back in 2008 I believe. They've been hydro'd once, and I'm about to drop them off for round two.

I rarely ever dive anymore, which makes me sad. They have sat full since the last VIP a year ago, and are now due for hydro this month. I'm trying to get all my gear back in order so I can dive more, so I intend to drop the tanks off today.

Just out of curiosity, how much life can I expect to get out of these tanks? The galvanized exterior still looks good. Removed the Nitrox bands and no significant corrosion underneath.

I have a third one that was hydro'd for the first time last year, so it's about 6 years old. I'm thinking about just selling that. What's a 6 year old XS Scuba HP100 with convertible valve worth nowadays used? I will get it VIP'd and it has 4 years left on first hydro.

View attachment 538695

View attachment 538695

Sonic...

The cylinders in the photo appear to be excellent...some would say...like new...$300/$400...worth more with current hydro/re-hydro/current annual VIP/O2 cleaned...2008 is not old...

Worthingtons are popular due to manufacturing quality/wall thickness/buoyancy characteristics...made in Canada...

If you list them...they'll be gone in a day...the guys are probably already starting to line up...

W...

..$300/$400.......they'll be gone in a day...the guys are probably already starting to line up.....
LMAO!! Diver's Supply in Jacksonville has BRAND NEW with warranty HP100's for $310
Florida is a very saturated gear market.

Those are great tanks and are barely broken in! I have several steel tanks from the 70s that still pass hydro and are great tanks.

HP100s are probably the favorite tank for salt water Florida diving.

As far as value goes.. I think the previous poster is a little overly optimistic. Used tanks are for sale all over the place. They should sell quickly for $200-250 per tank. You might get >$275 ea if you are patient.

View attachment 538695
Sorry for the following yell but ....

BE VERY VERY SURE YOUR HYDRO SHOP IS FULLY CONVERSANT WITH THE SPECIAL PROCEDURES FOR HOT-DIPPED-GALVANIZED TANKS.

There have been several reports of "failed" hydros which are likely attributable to not using the correct HDG-specifc procedures,

LMAO!! Diver's Supply in Jacksonville has BRAND NEW with warranty HP100's for $310
Florida is a very saturated gear market.
Not Worthingtons

I will get it VIP'd and it has 4 years left on first hydro.
Since you are going to get it VIP'd before selling it, I would ask for a written description of the tank's interior from the VIP person.

You might get one if you tell them it is so that you can price it correctly for sale.

Since you are going to get it VIP'd before selling it, I would ask for a written description of the tank's interior from the VIP person.

You might get one if you tell them it is so that you can price it correctly for sale.
Get a by the book psi inspector to do it and you get the inspection form.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom