Steel tank life and value?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About $225.

Down in Florida this January...I purchased one used oxygen service cleaned HP100 with new vis and hydro for $225.

In Virginia...about three months later...I purchased an identical tank for the same price.

You might be able to get a few more bucks out of it, but I wouldn't expect much more than that ($225 seems to be about the going rate).

Both of mine were purchased at shops, so that's something else to consider. That and HP100's are a dime a dozen in your neck of the woods.

Up here, they are gold, nearly matching the cost of new ones (and are better with the hot dipped galvanized coating). Down there, as said, likely less than 50% of a new tank cost....

I'd practically kill to get them for $225 up here.....

Wow. Overwhelming amount of replies. Thanks guys!

In bed now with a fever so I’ll reply with more detail later.

Just to clarify, the ones in the picture I am keeping. I dropped them off at Force-E Scuba in pompano earlier, a well known shop in South Florida for those not local. They send them out and will return on Monday ideally. Good to know they’re still young! (Original hydro ‘08 I think).

The one I am considering selling is a newer 2013 I think? Says XS Scuba if I recall. Had it hydro’d last year. It is galvanized, no paint, with the convertible valve and red/green indicator.

Have a friend that might be interested. thank you for helping with market pricing.

Get a by the book psi inspector to do it and you get the inspection form.
@KWS

I'm somewhat curious about what you posted concerning 'getting the inspection form' as I hold a current card for properly (aka, 'by the book') inspecting cylinders, valves, and manifolds. I also have a current card for O2 cleaning the same. It was simple economics for me, I own a lot of scuba tanks. Nowhere in my training did I see the requirement to supply a properly completed inspection form.

I have no desire to inspect or clean anyone else's cylinders. But, it is my understanding that I do not owe anyone the inspection form. The form (and anything else such as pictures) remain in my files (record books). I would be willing to photocopy supporting form and pics if someone requested, but you would just get the punched agency tank sticker (agency that certed me) if I ever VIP'd/O2 Cleaned someone else's cylinder.

The agency sticker is good anywhere. BUT, the tank could be pristine or just pass. And it is my obligation to pass a tank that passes all the minimums. Both require me to sticker them, neither requires me to supply supporting documentation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would see those two situations as tanks having differing values.

@KWS

I'm somewhat curious about what you posted concerning 'getting the inspection form' as I hold a current card for properly (aka, 'by the book') inspecting cylinders, valves, and manifolds. I also have a current card for O2 cleaning the same. It was simple economics for me, I own a lot of scuba tanks. Nowhere in my training did I see the requirement to supply a properly completed inspection form.

I have no desire to inspect or clean anyone else's cylinders. But, it is my understanding that I do not owe anyone the inspection form. The form (and anything else such as pictures) remain in my files (record books). I would be willing to photocopy supporting form and pics if someone requested, but you would just get the punched agency tank sticker (agency that certed me) if I ever VIP'd/O2 Cleaned someone else's cylinder.

The agency sticker is good anywhere. BUT, the tank could be pristine or just pass. And it is my obligation to pass a tank that passes all the minimums. Both require me to sticker them, neither requires me to supply supporting documentation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would see those two situations as tanks having differing values.

there is an inspection form, ((I dont use them because i only do my own)), that has multi copy sheets one for the inspectors files and one for the customer files. when you return a tank you give him the tank and his carbon copy of the inspection detailed results. Let me say that My comment was in response to the PSI inspector VISing his tank and not any other agency. PSI has the multi copy forms for this purpose. Other agencies may or may not make provisions for customer records.

I have always received a form stating cylinder serial number and work performed.

Just out of curiosity, how much life can I expect to get out of these tanks?

I have several galvanized steel scuba tanks from the 1950s that are still in use and passing their hydro and VIP tests whenever required. I am aware of other, even older scuba cylinders that have been in use since the 1940s and are still going strong. As long as there is no rust, these things seem to go on forever and ever.

Flash rust can be fine, just requires another step before stickering. Rust pitting, pitting patterns, and area rust also have (IMHO) generous limits before they kill a cylinder.

It is the CYA inspector who is paid to move tanks through inspection that worries me.

The one I am considering selling is a newer 2013 I think? Says XS Scuba if I recall. Had it hydro’d last year. It is galvanized, no paint, with the convertible valve and red/green indicator.

Just FYI - the "red/green indicator' is a Vindicator knob.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom