Steel tank questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New valves will fit, or you can service the old valves. You’ll need new burst disks as those old ones are not allowed - need the newer ones with the side relief holes..and you’d want to replace those anyway as they are quite old. Vintage double hose has the 2250 burst disks. Then finding a hydro place that will plus them will be another challenge. It took me a couple years to find one that would, but my last 5 now have new plus stamps on them!
I was planning on putting some k valves on them as they have the old J valves now. The place that does my hydros has done a old aluminum tank made out of the bad alloy so I think they should do them no problem.

Hi All, I have a handful of steel tanks I’m trying to identify. From what I gathered so far, they are PST brand and rated to 2250 + 10%. My question is how do I determine the tanks volume? Also, are these tanks worth trying to hydro and vis? I am getting into vintage diving equipment and would be more than happy to dive them.
volume should be a simple thing of cuft or liters divided by bar. use roughly 28 liters to a cu ft. and make the pressure in bar. 2037 / 168 bar or a 12.1 liter tank.

I’m looking to start stripping the finish off two of the three yellow tanks and though I would ask some things about the process before I proceeded. Would it be better for me to strip them with air in the cylinders or remove the valves and work on them then? Worried about flash rust. Next question, would you have them vis and hydro tested prior to starting work or risk a failure after putting in all the work? I have been toying with the idea of coating the tanks in a product called Raptorliner. It’s a spray on diy bedliner that can be colored to the user’s preference. Only downside is it leaves a bit of a uneven finish and may make tank markings difficult to see. However, I wouldn’t think it wouldn’t be any worse than the vinyl and may not even be as thick. I used it to spray the interior of my dive trailer and like it’s durability.
Drain them and pull the valves
Peek inside with a flashlight? Is there hideous rust then then may fail hydro or vis. If not it's worth stripping them.

Citri-strip removes vinyl but it needs to be warm out to work.

Absolutely no bedliner stuff you are just asking for corrosion. Leave them bare galvanized.

I was planning on putting some k valves on them as they have the old J valves now. The place that does my hydros has done a old aluminum tank made out of the bad alloy so I think they should do them no problem.

well aluminum v. Plus-ing steels are apples and oranges. They have to have old values for the ree and none of the manufacturer data is available, which is why my shop won’t plus mine. But good luck, I like the extra 10%.

J valves make good carry handles, no need to replace them.

Gavilite is absolutely the best. Do not use the spray can buy a quart can and apply it with a foam roller, 3 coats. Let it cure 2 weeks before putting it in service.

ZRC Galvilite

J valves make good carry handles, no need to replace them.

Gavilite is absolutely the best. Do not use the spray can buy a quart can and apply it with a foam roller, 3 coats. Let it cure 2 weeks before putting it in service.

ZRC Galvilite
I have to admit that I am new to the whole j valve deal. I understand it’s a reserve. From what I read it advised the j valve be disabled. Has anyone disabled the j valves? Also, where does everyone get their service kits for their j valve?

Why disable it, just don't use it. When the lever is in the down position it is no different than a K valve. That's what I do, all except one of my tanks have J valves.

DSC02061 (Small).JPG

Is it possible to run doubles with the j valves or do the valves get replaced buy the manifold? I believe I have seen both ways.

Is it possible to run doubles with the j valves or do the valves get replaced buy the manifold? I believe I have seen both ways.

J valves can be used on doubles, exact same principle as on a single. Only one side will have the lever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom