Stick on gauge reader...fogging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Painter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking of getting a pair of stick on gauge readers for an upcoming trip. I'd prefer to order custom lenses, but I procrastinated, and now it is too late.

I have seen mixed reviews of the Diveoptyx stick on lenses, including that they are sometimes difficult to de-fog. Any comments? Are the gauge readers that glue on better?

I got a pair of the stickon's before my last trip (hate having to admit that!). They worked just fine - one stuck on just fine, one just refused and I ended up with a little silicone to ensure it would stick (have to be very careful if doing that as any silicone area will not be clear). I would say if they are just to "help" they are fine - if they are "required" to see your gauges, you will want prescription lenses. Once they were stuck on, I didn't have any issues defogging/rinsing them. Now I didn't have my mask flooded or rinsed underwater for an extended period of time. But during my week of 3-4 dives a day, they worked just fine.

Stick ons fogged for me. Replaced them with glass half lenses attached with UV activated cement. These ones are very clear.They can be removed with a razor blade.

I don't know how soon your trip is but SeaVision has a rush service and can probably have the new mask with your prescription in it in about seven or eight days. I bought the mask and lenses (bifocals) from them for less than $200 a year ago--what a difference it made reading my gauges, computer and viewing my camera. I just emailed them my prescription with my mask choice and with normal service I had them in about ten days without the rush service.

I think I've used the Hydro Optix brand. They need about 48 hours to fully dry out and bond to a lens, but after that they don't seem to care if they get wet. Defogging any stick-on lens shouldn't be too much of a stopper. In the worst case, you just let a little water stay in the bottom of your mask, then tilt your face down and let it slosh over the lens. It will clear it. (Same thing will clear a mask.)

Not a stopper.

I have seen mixed reviews of the Diveoptyx stick on lenses, including that they are sometimes difficult to de-fog. Any comments? Are the gauge readers that glue on better?
My primary mask has the DiveOptx stick-on readers; they're OK. One has shifted a bit over time, but I've not had a problem with the stick-ons fogging. One good application of anti-fog after applying the readers and then a layer of spit on each subsequent dive...no problems.

This stuff does wonders on my plastic swim goggles. Probably works well for plastic stick ons. Swimmng 3 tmes a week I needed only a couple drop treament every month or so. Won't help if the issue is fog between mask lens and stick on lens.

Anti-Fog Goggle Solution | Speedo USA

I've had the same pair of DiveOptx for 10 plus years. Once you get them stuck properly they'll stay put. I only use one per mask. If I remember correctly the trick was using hot water.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of stick on gauge readers for an upcoming trip. I'd prefer to order custom lenses, but I procrastinated, and now it is too late.

I have the Attach-A-Lens gauge readers and at first I did have a bit of trouble with fogging. I have found that a thorough application of a good defog solution with attention to the readers with a good rinse and repeated once just before splashing pre-dive eliminates the problem. You have to get all traces of dirt, finger oils, sunscreen, previous dried water drops etc. off of the inner glass surfaces. I also do not put my mask on until just prior to entry and never MOF. Saliva will not cut it in my experience. So far this has been working for me.

Years ago I lost two of the kind you just use hot water (I think) to stick on. One was lost in the POOL and unfindable. I would use glue on ones if I went that route again. And probably just glue to one side of mask and use one eye. Unless they've made these things a little bigger in later years.
Of course prescription mask is best. Unless your normal vision is like mine-- 20-20 but need reading glasses due to age. Certain details on my console are hard to read, but I can if I squint. If it gets worse I may do some marking on the SPG, etc.--or get a computer with bigger numbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom