Stickies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
From all the nonsense that has been going on in the past few days on this forum, about the only good suggestion was to put together some stickies with commonly asked questions, etc. so we don't have to answer the same things all the frickin' time.

I don't mind taking some time and writing some stuff up, even putting in pictures where appropriate. What sorts of things do you think would be most valuable to include? I'm thinking we keep it as positive as possible vs. trying to negate the bad misconceptions, instead try to assert the good stuff (IE, don't get defensive.)

Hey Tom:

Noble thought but I don’t think that you could say much more than what has already been said, especially pertaining to boltsnaps and dry gloves! :D

Seriously, if people don’t read the current stickies I doubt they’d read other ones that would also be well thought out and posted for curious individuals. I love Cave Diver’s sticky and I read it after the first time I read the term DIR. Of course I thought, “What is DIR?” and Cave Diver’s sticky introduced it nicely. It didn’t answer my first, but now silly to me question, “Is a ½ to 3/8 inch adapter DIR?” Yup, I asked it, and got some really good answers. Was it a good question for the DIR forum? Since I eventually followed it up with a class, I will say yes.

Although I know there are many tones to the advice, “Take a class”, it really is the best advice. There weren’t any questions that my instructors could or would not answer. They gave it to us straight, they weren’t pushing Halcyon when it came to gear, and they never bashed anyone or their type of diving if it wasn’t [GUE]. So maybe something describing the merits of taking a class (aside from the obvious) might be nice. But really, there are class reports that have been posted and I have not read one where the instructor was a DIR zealot or where the biggest issue was why someone couldn’t use their triple gas computer to dictate their dive and still be considered DIR. I read that all of the instruction is top notch, patience is never-ending, no question is too insignificant, and that stereotypes are pleasantly quashed after being in the presence of DIR diving instructors.

If there was another topic that I wish would get further reinforced, is that just because you don’t have training in GUE or UTD, doesn’t mean you’re DIW. In other words, DIR isn’t elitist nowadays- it’s just a name. If you don’t like tenets of DIR, then don’t subscribe; if you don’t like the name DIR, don’t use it. I think [DIR] training made me a better buddy and diver and think everyone could benefit from it. Just because I think it though doesn't mean I think everyone should go to Essentials or Fundies nor does it mean that since someone didn't go through the training then they are an unsafe diver.

Probably the best stab at advice I could give you for a sticky, is make one of all the popular topics that have been discussed and then stress the search function to locate them or link them in the document. Good DIR websites might be beneficial as well.

Equipment issues can be roughly addressed up on the internet but having an even squared away rig hardly makes one DIR (looking like a duck and walking like one are two different things). Education can partly be gotten on the internet, books, but the class is the preferred for this type of diving. And last but certainly not least, experience. No matter how you cut it, we have to keep diving to stay proficient, keep learning, and to have fun. You can’t get that in a sticky!

To the past few days worth of antics, I think the bottom line is that people are gonna believe what they want to about DIR from the previous threads or experience (especially negative); if someone is turned off from something some internet person says about GUE, UTD, DIR, or Unified Team Diving (as TS&M originally coined it as a replacement to DIR) and despite sensible explanations they still refuse the merits of the DIR system, then it’s their loss not ours. Why should you try so hard to objectively educate them knowing there may be a rebuttal for rebuttal’s sake? Sure, we have all had bad experiences with things and people. If I harbored detrimental feelings towards peas because I had one stuck in my nose when I was a kid, I’d never know the joy of eating them now. :eyebrow:

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

With kindest regards,
Thomas

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom