Sticky purge button on Prana Genesis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck(ed)Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey! So I just have a quick question about regulators. I’m a pretty new diver and have only done about 8 dives. 4 with my gear.

I have a Prana Genesis reg and octo and after my dive the other day, after cleaning my gear, I assembled my gear again just for fun/practice. When I pressed the purge button in my octo, the regulator started free flowing. I shut off the air and then turned it back on and the freeflowing stopped. I messed with it a bit and learned that I could stop it by pressing a finger over the mouth piece. It didn’t freeflow when I tried to breath with it either. Is it suppose to do that or is something off internally?

Thanks for the help!

Sounds good! Thank you!
To add to that, the venturi effect lowers the the effort needed once the inhale is started... and the higher the air flow the more the venturi effect. Many modern regulators can have a strong enough venturi on a firm purge to cross over into self sustaining (the freeflow you had). A reduction in flow (your thumb over the mouthpiece) reduces the venturi, allowing it to close.
Or, the simple version is "what Lex said"!

Back
Top Bottom