Stiff and cracking Joints while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Our son has been diving for six years and has done around 30 dives. He’s always complained about having very stiff joints that crack and pop constantly while he’s below around 30 feet and begins immediately. Some mild joint pain too. Gets better after being on the surface for a little while. This is in his knees, elbows and back. No one we have asked has any idea what would cause this and we haven’t been able to find anything by searching online.

GOK ??

I note you are
I) named Miller- I suspect we are not related
2) You reside in or around San Diego California

As you know as vintage NASDS diver San Diego is the birthplace of recreational diving in the US

Scrips hospital in San Diego has a huge well staffed hyperbaric department.
I would suggest that you make an appointment with them

Sam Miller, 111

It's most likely related to compression. This happens to a lot of people, myself included. As long as he's otherwise healthy and it doesn't persist after surfacing or cause him any distress he's probably fine. How old is he?

Best regards,
DDM

He is 19 now. He’s been diving since he was 13.
Is his exposure suit compressing around joints? Another possibility is that it is related to cold, so he might try a warmer dive suit and see if there is any change. He may not feel cold himself, but his joints notice cold first.

He is 19 now. He’s been diving since he was 13.

That's interesting. Has he played a lot of sports?

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom