Stiff Nylon for DIY Scuba Pockets & Similar.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I tried making a few custom pockets and similar items, and quickly found the material I was using (outdoor fabric) was too flexible and floppy. I believe most of the commercial scuba-pockets use some sort of stiff nylon material. Can someone share links or what to look for? Preferably a fabric that could be worked with a sewing machine, so not too crazy thick or stiff.

what you are asking for does not exist. I work in this industry and have designed many of these fabrics. A standard sewing machine will not like going through multiple layers of cordura. Old Singers will which is why I use, but most will not.
This is the fabric you're looking for.
1000 Denier Cordura - Stiff Nylon | Seattle Fabrics

You sew a sheet of plastic between the cordura layers, especially for arse plates
I found some plastic netting-like material & it's stiff enough I was thinking it would make a good reinforcement material.

The plastic cutting mats work really well as a stiffener; I use them in my leatherwork for larger bags.

Perfect, I just ordered some!

Speaking of which, I had an idea for a flexible sidemount backplate. I'd need something a little bigger, around 20-inches. I happen to have some unused cutting-mats used for sewing that might do well for that use. Although they're a little warped at the moment from improper storage, so I'll have to flatten them somehow.

Maybe leave in the sun for a while then pile old dive manuals on top? :wink:

Maybe leave in the sun for a while then pile old dive manuals on top? :wink:
Not a bad idea (though I've thrown out most of the physical manuals). I could throw some scuba-tanks on top for weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom