Still diving strong after 20 years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubastudy.org

Registered
Reaction score
Hello SB,

I'm looking for divers with 20+ years diving experience to take part in a 10 minute online questionnaire to help with my University graduate studies.

As part of my studies at Plymouth University (UK) I have just finished writing a website to help me with my research.

For those of you who don't know, my sponsor is the DDRC and the research is looking at both short and long term diving and its effects. The Diving Diseases Research Centre is the UK's only charity dedicated to researching scuba diving, it's therefor not-for-profit and all money gets directed back into research.

For the next phase of my studies I am looking to have divers with 20 years experience take part in a quick online questionnaire which is aimed at determining if there are any differences between a non-diving population and those who have been diving for 20 years or more.

If you, or anyone you know falls into this category of diver then we would really appreciate if you could take 10 minutes to fill out the relevant sections on scubastudy.org; you will find the form under the Long Term section. Alternatively click here to be taken there directly.

As with all my research all the data is anonymous and confidential, you are only ever identified by an ID number; we only ask for an email address to ensure we don't get multiple entries and to avoid spammers.

It’s a quite straightforward study, and I am hoping that if I get a good amount of data within the next week, I can replace the questionnaire and publish further studies on an ongoing basis.

If you have any question or queries, please get in touch,

Thanks again for your help

Graham

scubastudy.org

Current study: divers with 20 years experience click here

Hi SB

Just a quick thanks to everyone from the forum who has taken part in this study.In all honesty I was worried about choosing a population of "20+ years " divers as I thought there would not be too many people who fell into this category. However, I've had a really good response, and will spend some time tomorrow doing some preliminary number crunching.

Also I think I will keep the questionnaire 'live' for the next 7 days so as to get as many responses as possible, so if you know anyone with 20 years diving under their belt, send them this way!

Thanks once again to those who have taken part,

Regards

Graham

graham.samson@ddrc.org

Hello SB,

Some time ago I posted a thread highlighting a website that I’ve written to gather data for my PhD at Plymouth Uni. Since then I have made some changes, namely now ALL divers can take part.....

What is it? Well, there is a quick (5 minute) online questionnaire- looking to compare divers relating to their diving experience. Simply click on the relevant study to take part. scubastudy.org

All your details are anonymous and will be kept confidential, should you have any queries, just either email me, or reply to this thread.
Thanks to those who have already completed the questionnaire, I really appreciate your help.

Although there is a vast number of members on this forum, I'd really like you to take part. Please don't assume that someone else will help out!

Cheers
Graham

graham.samson@ddrc.org

scubastudy.org

Current study: divers questionnaire click here

Thanks to everyone who has taken part in this so far, really good response!

Just to clarify, despite the thread title, this is open to ALL divers, not just those with 20 years experience. (perhaps a Moderator could re title it to 'Divers Survey')

I really appreciate you taking the time to complete the survey, I haven't yet started to look at the data, but will post some general results here when I do.

Pass it on to your diver buddies!!

Thanks again

Graham

Hello All,

Just an update on this study for those who have requested it. Firstly, I have had an excellent response rate, and the data looks very interesting indeed so far!

To answer a few questions that have arisen from the comments:

1) Yes, I will publish the results here!
2) The reason that information wasn't taken before divers qualified is merely because the study would have taken a very long time. The purpose of this is just to get a 'snapshot' of divers now according to their experience in years.
3) Number of dives will also be taken into consideration.
4) Along with previous DCI, we are also not overly concerned with dive environment (ie, lakes vs sea, cold vs warm, exposure suits etc, stress) mainly because there are so many variable here; however they may well be considered in future research.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their help, the University and DDRC really couldn't move forward with this diver study without everyones input.

I do still need a few more divers with 20 years experience or more just to balance the numbers, so if you know of anyone who qualifies, please pass on the web address.

Cheers

Graham

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom