still safe to buy Suunto D4i novo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like suunto but I strongly believe that particular lawsuit was a frivolous money grab. If that's your only hesitation, then hesitate no more.

That said, I just sold two Shearwater Petrel and plan to replace them with Ratio iX3M Tech+. IMO either of those are better than anything Suunto offers.

hi everyone,

Thank for helping me out

1) I see there are some law suit claims about malfunction of suunto dive computer? Is it safe to use one?

2) Is there a sleep mode for D4i novo (there is no such mode for D4i)?

3) Any recreational dive computer for recommendation? I originally used Cressi Leonardo, however the battery runs out after 10-20 dive. I got the battery replaced, but it is low again after 1 year (3-4 dives). I think there is some problem with the computer and want to get another one. It would be best if it is rechargable/ has sleep mode (budgeting around 400 USD).

Many thanks
Gordon
Regarding personal safety, the settlement was all about failed pressure sensors. Everything I have read (or experienced) regarding the failures is that they produce wildly wrong depths, not "reasonably" inaccurate values that could lead to DCI.

Regarding safety of your investment, the best I can say is that the pressure sensor warranty for new items is now 5 years. The issue that was litigated and resulted in the current settlement agreement did NOT produce any admission of actual product defect from Suunto. Which means that if Suunto says a problem does not exist, then there is nothing for them to announce they have fixed. And there has been no communication that anything has been changed/modified/fixed/updated regarding the pressure sensors in the current Suunto production.

A quick search didn't turn up any statement on expected battery life, but from past D series Suunto I believe the intent is for the battery to last 2 years with a reasonable amount of recreational diving, and wearing it daily as a wrist watch. Added dive time drains it faster. (that counts any time in water, if you like to soak it for a day or two after a trip)
Thanks for looking it up, my newly changed battery should last me until I sell it and get a computer that can handle trimix then I suppose :thumb:

1) safe until it malfunctions.

2) all dive computers go to sleep mode after being on the surface for a while.

3) puck pro is pretty cheap (under $200). Above that, get a Perdix.

That may be true for most computers, however the D4i Novo doesn't go into sleep mode. I have mine sitting here on my desk that hasn't seen water in well over a month, and the screen is still live.

That may be true for most computers, however the D4i Novo doesn't go into sleep mode. I have mine sitting here on my desk that hasn't seen water in well over a month, and the screen is still live.
sounds like a pretty stupid computer to me then.

sounds like a pretty stupid computer to me then.
No, it's because it is not meant to be more than just a computer. It is designed to also be suitable for everyday wear as a watch.
Specs on the website say 2 year battery life if used as just a time piece, 1.5 years if also used for 100 dives/year.

I think that has always been pretty much the general rule for the whole of the D series, but I didn't go clicking on every other item to check.

my wife brought a d4i 1.5 yr ago used for a dive trip around 12 dives then left in the draw. now it need battery replacement.
Frankly for recreational divers like us who only has dive trip 1-2 a year, annual replacement of battery is quite costly

that particular lawsuit was a frivolous money grab.

this. only lawyers will profit from all that noise.
Suunto have a good build quality and customer support, despite being overpriced.

Just wonder why you would avoid Sunnto at all cost? I thought it is a very popular brand e.g. zoop etc.

many thanks
It is indeed a very popular brand.
I should had said any dive computer that are using RGBM or similar eg. Sunnto, Mares and Cressi.
This is my personal opinion and I suggest you ought to look up the characteristic of this algorithm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom