Stingray City Barracuda Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many moons ago dove GC west side with a guide who would take out the big shiny knife out that we all carried back then and would twist the blade in the sunlight to get the cudas' attention. On occasion he would drop the knife and on occasion a cuda would swoop in lighting fast and grab hold of it before it hit the bottom. More recently I have noticed on some dives on the west side a cuda or two who seemed to take a bit more interest than usual.

Not diving-related specifically, but involving underwater activities:

Visitor badly bitten by barracuda at Sandbar - Cayman Islands Headline News

Has anyone ever seen any aggression from Barracudas while diving? I have to say that while they often hang out with me during a dive they have never ever shown any signs of aggression.

What is your experience and the circumstances surrounding it?

I saw a giant school of giant barracuda at pescador island in Moalboal on Cebu island. I didnt know they schooled but down about 90 to 100 there they were right in front of me. random guess about 40 to 60, couldnt see em all and they looked to be over 5 ft long. If they chose to attack id have disappeared

I have been told stories of barracudas biting divers on night dives. Usually involving lights being suddenly shined in their faces.
I have also seen some aggressive behavior on a night dive, enough to really freak out someone who is not afraid of much. He had to beat a barracuda away with his muck stick and camera. I was watching and came up to him after and poked him to get his attention and he almost killed me with his muck stick :poke: I also had a boat call a second dive at a site when we encountered an overly curious barracuda. They tend to make threatening postures before they really mean business. They sort of shake their heads at you... I usually back away. When they are swimming in a school they don't seem to get irritated, it is more if they are at a cleaning station or just resting in place and you invade their territory. I would assume if they (barracuda's) were feeding in a bait ball all bets are off, that is why they say no matter what you do try to stay out of the bait ball.

Years ago, I had a little duffer bite my fin. We had a bit of a tug of war and he eventually let go. I didn't see him coming nor what caused him to bite my fin. Just glad it was my fin even if he was under 2 feet.

Only 5 or so years ago, our group was being shadowed by a cuda. Of course, I assumed it was going to be that normal swimming along business. At one point, the group was looking back at something behind me but I was swimming forward. I saw the cuda swing around and start to speed up straight for the head of a young female diver. The guide was next to her. No one else noticed. I was pointing and kicking as fast as I could. Finally, the guide noticed my behaviour snd started to turn his head. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the cuda and mere inches from her head, batted it away by bringing up his arm fast to protect her. Fortunately, the cuda backed off and stayed backed off.

Neither the guide nor I could figure out what caused that behavior.

The young woman had dark hair, a full suit and was not wear jewelry.

In a completely different set of circumstances, some folk were on their way out to so a night dive and one of the divers stuck his mask and whole hand in to the water to rinse his mask. He was struck then. No one was positive that it was a cuda but determined that made the most sense. He ended up in hospital in Manado and his dive trip was over before it had begun.

I met a DM in Belize who suffered a severe barracuda bite to his hand while trying to get a lion fish off a spear.

I guess I was a bit too close to this guy. Will not happen again.
DSC06304.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom