• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Stingray City Barracuda Attack

Discussion in 'Cayman Islands' started by Alucard, Jul 18, 2019.

1. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    You are reading from a scuba magazine. My info is from a professional book...large schools of Great Barracuda are not at all commmon. The Pickhandle (not picklehandle...) is a likely candidate from what you saw. I agree.

2. tursiops

The Greats are solitary or a few together....small groups. Other species can have massive schools.

3. NAUI Wowie

NAUI Wowie Manta Ray

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    these were in groups of ten two twenty individuals. and i saw a couple other groups in the distance similar. definitely not a large school of them like i see in vids and pics.

ill try to find my gopro footage. ive got like a hundred short clips so it will be an endeavor

4. tursiops

The footage will be helpful; the Great's markings are distinctive.

5. Hank49

Hank49 Solo Diver

I’ve had one barracuda bolt at me three times. Right at my face and it jumped out of the water. The next pass it was coming at my shoulder. The third charge, it clipped my knee and bit through my wetsuit to the bone. I went to my boat and peeled my wetsuit down....razor teeth and a lot of blood. Wrapped it up tight. My son swam up and asked what happened. I told him and he dove down and the barracuda was lying dead on the bottom. Oh yeah....I had speared it.....and the shaft passed through so the Barro could still swim. But I’ve shot.....40-50?....only this one attacked. And it was only 60 cm or so?
    I closed it up with butterfly bandages.
    It’s the molar, back teeth that do the damage. Razor sharp.
    I’ve scuba dived with huge schools of chevron barros in the Philippines. No worries...but the Great, here in the Caribbean...

chillyinCanada likes this.