Stobe for Olympus PT-009 on D-550 zoom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjordan

New
Reaction score
I've got the Olympus D-550 zoom and recently purchased the Olympus PT-009 underwater housing for it -- works great (so that answers the question I've seen posted here several times. Yes, the Olympus PT-009 works with all the following: Olympus D-200 zoom, D-300 zoom, D-510 zoom, and D-550 zoom).

Now my question. I've seen several references to using the Sea and Sea YS90DX strobe; however, how EXACTLY does it attach (or is used with) to the PT-009 housing?

I am an extreme newbie. From visual inspection, there is no port/interface/slot or other such attachment point where a fiber option cable attaches to the camera, then to the case, and out to the strobe. What's the precise assembly? Please note any adapters, etc. that might be needed.

Your help is appreciated.

I'm sure it would attach like any of the other PT-0XX housings. There is a velcro patch (hook side) with a fitting that the fiber optic cable attaches to. You'll stick the two small strips of soft velcro (loop side) to the housing, just above and below the diffuser panel. When you want to use the strobe, you simply stick the velcro patch to the housing, set your strobe and go!

With the Oly PT-series of housings, there are no external connections ports on them. The YS90DX strobe operates as a manual slave off the cameras internal flash.

sjordan, strobes that can be used with your system will have to be 'triggered' by your camera's flash. This is done by a light sensitive device that fires the strobe in sync when it sees your camera's flash go off.
On the Sea and Sea YS90DX this is done by a fibre optic cable. One end is attached to the light sensitive device on the strobe. The other end is attached to the housing (in front of the camera's flash), usually with the supplied velcro patch. The light from the camera's flash is sent down the FO cable to the light sensitive device which then fires the strobe. See this for a picture: http://helios.hmdnsgroup.com/~under...7&ps_session=434d65dea96396bbde9506cfc475d2ac
With Ikelite strobes (DS50 and DS125) a remote sensor/controller is mounted somewhere on the rig (arm or handle) and aimed at your camera's flash. The light sensitive device is in the sensor/controller. This sensor is connected to the strobe with a sync cord. When the sensor detects your camera's flash going off it sends an electical signal down the sync cord to fire the strobe. See this for a picture: http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/ds50_pkg1.html

Dee, you found a tray yet for your (newly acquired) PT-015?

I ordered the Fisheye from Yuzo. He gave me a really good price with low shipping. Plus he's super to work with. My alternative S&S tray with Infinity arms was a bit cheaper, but the bigger base negated the small size I was trying to retain.

I just ordered it this morning so I don't know how long it will take. I went with the classic black and the housing will provide those classy red accents! :wink:

I ordered the Fisheye from Yuzo. He gave me a really good price with low shipping. Plus he's super to work with. My alternative S&S tray with Infinity arms was a bit cheaper, but the bigger base negated the small size I was trying to retain.
I just ordered it this morning so I don't know how long it will take. I went with the classic black and the housing will provide those classy red accents!
Ditto! :D . I ordered the same from him - black, to match the ulcs arms, and the red on the housing will look very classy! I love the small form factor and the fact that you can adust the distance between the 2 grips from 17.5cm to 27cm.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this post, last question to Dee I promise - you looking at ordering a Z220 or 220s after Jeff's article?

ReyeR once bubbled...
....Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this post, last question to Dee I promise - you looking at ordering a Z220 or 220s after Jeff's article?

I just got emails from Yuzo asking about the *new* Fisheye for the PT-015. Seems it's not exactly out yet but he has a few or maybe you have one too? Picture attached. I'm only using one strobe so I didn't get the double grips but that's a cool feature.

I'm trying to keep this upgrade as cheap as possible, especially since Beast wants my wide angle lens! But yeah....Jeff has me thinking about one of the Z strobes. :D His report sure was impressive.

sjordan,

I have a PT-009 and a D-510. I just got my strobe Sea and Sea YS90DX and will have my first dive with it on Saturday.

I got mine from teptronics.com. If you get the get the YS-90DX Kit, you get everything you will need ... the strobe, the fiber optic sync cord, the multi stay set, the sea arm bracket shoe, and flexible light arm. It was right at $660 including shipping.

Trimming the velco was an interesting task. I recommend making a photo copy of the template mask, tape it to the velco and cut around it. Worked fine. And... they give you 2 velco parts... just in case you make a mistake on the first one!

I should have some photos online on Monday to let Dee and the rest tell me what I am doing wrong. (Any last minute suggestions, Dee?) Hmm.. not knowing what settings to use... I was thinking about setting the stobe to full power. Hope I don't blind too many fish. lol

You've all been very helpful. I have a much better understanding of how it works. I'm sure it will all be crystal clear when I get the kit. Thank you all very much

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom