Stolen Wreck Reel from water at Dutch Springs-Sept. 13th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see the issue with a line running from the school bus to the helicopter? Is it not the same thing as a line running from the fire truck to the bus?

I don't see the issue with a line running from the school bus to the helicopter? Is it not the same thing as a line running from the fire truck to the bus?

A known, permanent 3/4 inch "rope" - which is marked on all maps, can easily be seen even in low vis, can easily be felt through exposure protection if you happen to run into it, etc - is very different than an unknown run of 24# cave line in midwater.

VideoMap.jpg

Ray Purkis

It's line, not barbed wire.

I'd bet that line has killed/injured more divers underwater than barbed wire has.

Ray Purkis

It's line, not barbed wire.

Have you ever had loose line in the water near you? Ever had it wrap itsself around you like a python and not let you go with cutting it? I have an it can go from nothing to a nightmare in a moment.

I'm not saying this has anything to do with the OP's post about stolen gear, just replying to your post acting like line in the water column is completely benign.

This isn't a post about whether loose line is dangerous. It is. And yes I have been in that situation.

This post is about line that was ran, and I'm making a bunch of assumptions, and wasn't loose and waiting to kill unsuspecting divers headed to the helicopter.

I'm assuming the line was ran well since it was done by an instructor with I can only assume is a decent amount of experience running a reel.

You (RJP) are acting as if the instructor ran the line maliciously and how dare he run line where another diver may come across it.

Again it's line that was ran from two attractions. I'll also say this, if the visibility is bad enough were a diver can't see line in the water, then it's probably not good enough to conduct training in. I haven't been at Dutch springs where the viz is that bad.

This isn't a post about whether loose line is dangerous. It is. And yes I have been in that situation.

True, but many of our most interesting threads do develop when a side tangent is followed, although I guess it could always be split off into a new thread, if anyone wants to do that.

It's important to distinguish between a discussion about the advisability of running a long line (mid-water?) from the school bus to the helicopter and a discussion about someone doing two very bad things (removing another divers line and possibly stealing a reel). Just because someone has a problem with the placement of the line doesn't mean that they support removing it. I don't think that Ray was implying that James ran it maliciously at all, it's a simple difference of opinion about the lines deployment.

But yes, the OP clearly posted this to help his friend recover his stolen reel, and to possible shame whoever did it into returning it. Looks like a nice reel, Pat - I hope that James gets it back!

It seems that we are going totally off track- the point is that a expensive item of dive equipment was stolen. If another Instructor or Divemaster removes a line which was only in water for day of training for percieved entanglement issues- would not the first instinct would be to give reel to one of Dutch Springs Staff, and there are plenty of them at all entry/exist points....

It seems that we are going totally off track

That's my favorite part of Scubaboard...

the point is that a expensive item of dive equipment was stolen. If another Instructor or Divemaster removes a line which was only in water for day of training for percieved entanglement issues- would not the first instinct would be to give reel to one of Dutch Springs Staff, and there are plenty of them at all entry/exist points....

Exactly right. We may never know for sure, but it sounds more like it was taken than that someone removed it because they thought it was a hazard. We do think of Dutch as a safe haven where everybody is part of one big family of divers, but not always the case. A good buddy of mine had her dry suit taken from the changing room and it was eventually found on craigslist!

I'm assuming the line was ran well since it was done by an instructor...

Facepalm.JPG

You (RJP) are acting as if the instructor ran the line maliciously and how dare he run line where another diver may come across it.

Um, yeah. "Maliciously" was't the word I had in mind.

:d

Ray Purkis

Back
Top Bottom