Stop merging posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you work to avoid it, your posts will be merged manually. This is called "Bumping" a post which is against the TOS.

It is not solely with my for sale thread in mind that this question was asked (which you could have at least tried to answer), in this very short thread, at least one other member expressed the desired to have this changed/fixed, and it had nothing to do with "Bumping".

You obviously are in a position to know better than I do, so I'll write this in the form of a question: Is updating my for sale thread with information on what has been sold, what new has become available, relevant update/upgrade to a specific item, pictures illustrating significant details previously missed, changing price and/or terms of sale, considered "bumping"?

Thanks for you input
Pavao.

...Is updating my for sale thread with information on what has been sold, what new has become available, relevant update/upgrade to a specific item, pictures illustrating significant details previously missed, changing price and/or terms of sale, considered "bumping"?...
Pavao.

Definitely not. That's updating your sale and providing useful information to users. It's not posting solely the sake of pushing your post to the top of the "heap".

It is not solely with my for sale thread in mind that this question was asked (which you could have at least tried to answer), in this very short thread, at least one other member expressed the desired to have this changed/fixed, and it had nothing to do with "Bumping".

You obviously are in a position to know better than I do, so I'll write this in the form of a question: Is updating my for sale thread with information on what has been sold, what new has become available, relevant update/upgrade to a specific item, pictures illustrating significant details previously missed, changing price and/or terms of sale, considered "bumping"?

Thanks for you input
Pavao.

Posting again after you were the last one to post for the sake of pushing your post to be the most recent post is called "Bumping". You can judge by yourself how that should be interpreted by the moderators. The moderators are intelligent people who are able to understand the purpose of the posting, and if it is intended to be bumping. At the same time. The automatic post merging does a very good job of making things easier for the moderators.

If users purposefully circumvent the automated filters then they are breaking the rules. It's that simple. I'm sure you can figure out how this would apply.

Definitely not. That's updating your sale and providing useful information to users. It's not posting solely the sake of pushing your post to the top of the "heap".
Thanks, that's how I saw it.
More on this below...

Posting again after you were the last one to post for the sake of pushing your post to be the most recent post is called "Bumping". You can judge by yourself how that should be interpreted by the moderators. The moderators are intelligent people who are able to understand the purpose of the posting, and if it is intended to be bumping. At the same time. The automatic post merging does a very good job of making things easier for the moderators.

If users purposefully circumvent the automated filters then they are breaking the rules. It's that simple. I'm sure you can figure out how this would apply.

Howard, I fully understand what you said here, and it is somewhat in line with what I was inquiring, although I could argument on a few things some more, I don't think it's gonna lead to anything and I don't wanna waste energy on it or anyone's time, I can be happy with the answers given so far, by everyone.

But since we are talking about it, I do have a question/suggestion: With my for sale thread in mind and my experience with it so far, I think it would be a better overall experience for all involved (seller/buyer/mods/site bandwidth) if the thread "owner" (OP) had more control over it, 2 things:

1) Ability for the OP to edit all of his/her post, if I could delete/mark off the items sold, I wouldn't need to post a new post every time an item is sold, therefore no "bumping"

2) Ability to delete any post, including others, on my own thread for example, I can probably delete 90% of the posts, things like "PM sent", "is item A still available", or any "convo" for that matter, the more posts it gets, the more confusing it gets for users browsing it, so that would allow us to keep threads a lot cleaner.

Thanks
Pavao.

1) Ability for the OP to edit all of his/her post, if I could delete/mark off the items sold, I wouldn't need to post a new post every time an item is sold, therefore no "bumping"

2) Ability to delete any post, including others, on my own thread for example, I can probably delete 90% of the posts, things like "PM sent", "is item A still available", or any "convo" for that matter, the more posts it gets, the more confusing it gets for users browsing it, so that would allow us to keep threads a lot cleaner.
Inherent in this ability would be the ability to remove any offers not acceptable to you in lieu of higher offers you might receive on an item. Even though the original person made a full-price offer at the time, by deleting their post, you could accept a later, higher-priced offer and still look honest. In effect this could be manipulated into an online auction scenario using the SB Classifieds, something I doubt the owners envisioned.

The mods would know but it would be frustrating for regular users. Since the official SB policy is not to intercede except in extreme cases, you can see the potential for abuse.

Another problem is will you take it upon yourself to contact everyone whose post you delete? That's board policy except in cases of mass thread clean-up. Otherwise you're going to have a lot of confused or angry respondents who suddenly don't see their offer, comments etc. in your thread any longer. ScubaBoard is very reluctant to delete posts/threads without good cause since it can get confusing.

Pretty much the stated SB policy is no threads/posts get edited/deleted after the editing window closes. It's for everyone's protection.

Some years ago a small group of members figured out how to manipulate the system so would troll for a response. Post an extremely controversial topic, let the furor build, then a few hours/days later, edit their post and delete it. Making all the rest of the responders look silly or foolish. Or worse resulted in sanctions being applied to the aggravated posters - in essence the ultimate troll.

It's why long-term members know to quote a post they're responding to. By carrying the original posters name in the quote at the top, it indicates they did in fact post it at the time.

Last edited:
Inherent in this ability would be the ability to remove any offers not acceptable to you in lieu of higher offers you might receive on an item. Even though the original person made a full-price offer at the time, by deleting their post, you could accept a later, higher-priced offer and still look honest. In effect this could be manipulated into an online auction scenario using the SB Classifieds, something I doubt the owners envisioned.
What??? I list and item for x amount, if someone is making an offer it would obviously be lower than x, not accepting it and deleting it later would affect nothing, x is the amount asked for, how and why would someone pay more? Sorry, you're making no sense here.

The mods would know but it would be frustrating for regular users. Since the official SB policy is not to intercede except in extreme cases, you can see the potential for abuse.
No, I can't see it, sorry, still have no idea what you're talking about.

Another problem is will you take it upon yourself to contact everyone whose post you delete? That's board policy except in cases of mass thread clean-up. Otherwise you're going to have a lot of confused or angry respondents who suddenly don't see their offer, comments etc. in your thread any longer. ScubaBoard is very reluctant to delete posts/threads without good cause since it can get confusing.
You do realize I meant this for the FOR SALE threads only right? I could be wrong, but in my experience so far, there are no meaningful discussions going on in the for sale threads, as far as I know, it's a question, an answer and the convo is over, unless it carries any important information for others, I can't see a reason why it could not be deleted. I'm not gonna go back and read my thread, but I can't think of any post which do not have relevant info pertaining to any item being sold that could not be deleted without having to notify the poster or which would alter the meaning of the following posts, again, there's no discussion being carried out.

Pretty much the stated SB policy is no threads/posts get edited/deleted after the editing window closes. It's for everyone's protection.

Some years ago a small group of members figured out how to manipulate the system so would troll for a response. Post an extremely controversial topic, let the furor build, then a few hours/days later, edit their post and delete it. Making all the rest of the responders look silly or foolish. Or worse resulted in sanctions being applied to the aggravated posters - in essence the ultimate troll.

It's why long-term members know to quote a post they're responding to. By carrying the original posters name in the quote at the top, it indicates they did in fact post it at the time.

The rest has nothing to do with what I asked/suggested, so, not gonna comment.

Assume not the most ethical seller. They post an item for $100. Someone feels it's an exceptional deal and offers that in a reply - not via PM where there's the option to save it.

A few minutes later several people post comments and show that it's worth 5X that (hypothetically) A 2nd member posts an offer of $300. So now the less than honest seller deletes the $100 offer and accepts the $300 offer. He looks honest to the board, the 2nd buyer never even knows and the seller pockets the difference.

You or I would take the loss and sell to the first person. But there are members that have deliberately used the classifieds to defraud other members. Most are ex-members. Do a search for keithdiver if you're interested.

It doesn't matter that in your opinion there are no useful discussions posted in the classifieds. Other members will still take exception to your being allowed to delete their posts in your thread. Even if you're right. Only SB staff/volunteers are allowed to do that and unless it's very routine it's also documented.

Some people actually use older posts to determine the value of their items to be sold also. Deleting your posts makes that a slightly less valuable resource.

Last edited:
Assume not the most ethical seller. They post an item for $100. Someone feels it's an exceptional deal and offers that in a reply - not via PM where there's the option to save it.

A few minutes later several people post comments and show that it's worth 5X that (hypothetically) A 2nd member posts an offer of $300. So now the less than honest seller deletes the $100 offer and accepts the $300 offer. He looks honest to the board, the 2nd buyer never even knows and the seller pockets the difference.

You or I would take the loss and sell to the first person. But there are members that have deliberately used the classifieds to defraud other members. Most are ex-members. Do a search for keithdiver if you're interested.
I will look up keithdiver, thanks, I'm a buyer too, so, good idea to be aware of the latest scams.
It sucks to have to deal with certain rules because a few dishonest makes them necessary to have.

It doesn't matter that in your opinion there are no useful discussions posted in the classifieds. Other members will still take exception to your being allowed to delete their posts in your thread. Even if you're right. Only SB staff/volunteers are allowed to do that and unless it's very routine it's also documented.
I think the difference here is maybe that I'm thinking about posts that become meaningless right after it is responded to, and you are thinking of the ones that have relevant info. Common sense should be applied when deleting posts and cleaning a thread, the problem of course is, common sense isn't very common, and here we are again, "suffering" because of the ones who don't have it.

Some people actually use older posts to determine the value of their items to be sold also. Deleting your posts makes that a slightly less valuable resource.
This is a valid point, but like I said, the idea is not to delete post with relevant info.
I wouldn't delete a post that lists the items sold, quite the contrary, I want them to be seen, if I'm browsing a thread with multiple items and I see a list of items sold, it gives me some assurance the seller is legit, specially if has been long enough that the buyer has had time to receive the goods and possibly test it.

I can tell you one for thing for certain, the more posts it gets, the harder it makes for subsequent members to browse it.
I thought about opening a new thread with just the items left and linking to the old thread, but I think that's against the policy and I've been trying to play by rules, I could, and will, post and updated list to thread, but people would have to reference back to the first post anyways for the pictures.

Here's a different idea then, how about just hiding the posts?
On ebay, if you click on the bidding history of an item, it only shows the actual bids made manually and hides the automatic bids, but with just a click of a button, they pop up, in place of order in between the actual bids.
So here, it would be possible for anyone browsing the thread to choose weather they want to see every single post, in the order in which they were posted, or filter it all out and see just the posts relevant to the items left for sale.

On the editing, for the classifieds only, have it so that nothing can be deleted, only added, and have it being distinct from the original text, like having the later edited/added text show as red color text. This is pretty useful, if I could edit the original post this way, things would look a lot better in my opinion and would save everyone a lot of time.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 11:19 PM ----------

Btw, I saw your original 3 line response earlier, I was ready to reply to it and would have done had I not been distracted with other things, as it turned out, you edited it, my response would not have been compatible to your later edited version then, think about it, the potential problems you pointed out are still here, it's only a matter of timing.

Here's a different idea then, how about just hiding the posts?
On ebay, if you click on the bidding history of an item, it only shows the actual bids made manually and hides the automatic bids, but with just a click of a button, they pop up, in place of order in between the actual bids.
So here, it would be possible for anyone browsing the thread to choose weather they want to see every single post, in the order in which they were posted, or filter it all out and see just the posts relevant to the items left for sale.
I don't think this is implementable in the .vbulletin software. At least I've never seen it on any other site also using it.
On the editing, for the classifieds only, have it so that nothing can be deleted, only added, and have it being distinct from the original text, like having the later edited/added text show as red color text. This is pretty useful, if I could edit the original post this way, things would look a lot better in my opinion and would save everyone a lot of time.
[-]I almost wonder if this is possible. There is a moderation function that lists all changes made to a post by another moderator. Those changes when reviewed show up in different color. So the functionality - at least in that module - is there. Whether that can be implemented at the user level is something we'll have to let Howarde weigh in on.[/-] I checked on the .vbulletin forum earlier this morning and it appears it isn't possible.

Here's something you might find interesting - and could encourage other members viewing your posts to do. At the top of the thread under Display - switch to Hybrid or Threaded Mode. It does solve some of the problem of having to wade through all the replies to see the last content - especially if you start the latest reply with something like "Items still for sale" so it shows in the abbreviated list format. On another forum, my default is set that way - not sure why I've never done that here though...:shakehead:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom