Storage of dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Madacub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently noticed that the "Instruction" manuals (not the "User" manual) for the mares Nemo Wide, Mares Quad and Mares Quad Air have this identical section in their respective maintenance sections:

"do not store in a sealed container, always ensure free ventilation"

My questions:

1. Does anyone know why? I am assuming storage is always done after the computer is fully dry. (I also remove the battery for long term storage)

2. Any other manufacturer with the same instruction?

Hope someone can help. I'll also try Mares directly.

I stored one of my Suunto computers in a closed mask box for few weeks after risning it and when I came back to use it, its battery was dead. As it turned out moister inside the box remained on the contacts and caused the the battery drain.

Hi Burhan, that's interesting. But no damage to the computer, which is what I suspect Mares is talking about.

If you don't mind, could I ask you a follow up, is that just the atmospheric moisture from the air in the mask box you are talking about? I don't have much experience with dive computers, but my Mares Nemo Wide does not have contacts that I could see would cause that. (Even if the moist air acted as a conductor)

Read somewhere that batteries release gas and combined with moisture form a acid that corrode equipment

Hi Ludren, that's very interesting. But what part of the computer would corrode? All I see on mine is glass and plastic/rubber. (I'll have to go look at other computers, I guess....)

Why don't you just do what the manufacturer recommends?

Hi Burhan, that's interesting. But no damage to the computer, which is what I suspect Mares is talking about.

If you don't mind, could I ask you a follow up, is that just the atmospheric moisture from the air in the mask box you are talking about? I don't have much experience with dive computers, but my Mares Nemo Wide does not have contacts that I could see would cause that. (Even if the moist air acted as a conductor)

I don't know if there was damage to the computer or not yet, I sent the computer to a Suunto service center and I am waiting to hear what they found. I am in Libya and no Suunto anything here. The moisture was present on the computer. I made the mistake of rinsing the computer in water and then putting in the mask box and closing it immediately without giving it time to dry overnight. The room where all this happened doesn't help to dry things quickly. The lesson learned so far is never to store these type of computers in a box before they are dry.

The part that was wet during storage was the depth sensor I think. There was an "ACS" icon on the computer screen when I put it in the box.

Why don't you just do what the manufacturer recommends?

Fair question, scrane. Reasons:

1. My mask box seems to me to be the most logical place, and it fits in there very well. For storage and for travel. FYI, the Nemo Wide is a bit of an odd shape, it does not lay flat at all. The strap parts that attach to the actual dual are permanently curved and made of some sort of hard molded material.

2. Manufacturers say all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons. For example, in the same manuals, about 3 lines down it says to take the unit in to an authorized Mares center for replacing the battery. But this is a user replaceable button battery and it is a rather trivial task for any user to do (as advised by my LDS who sold it to me).

3. I thought that was interesting and something that needs explanation. I like to know reasons for doing things - sometimes, if I don't know the reason, I forget and don't make it a habit. As well, it interests me to know if other manufacturers say the same thing.

I don't know if there was damage to the computer or not yet, I sent the computer to a Suunto service center and I am waiting to hear what they found. I am in Libya and no Suunto anything here. The moisture was present on the computer. I made the mistake of rinsing the computer in water and then putting in the mask box and closing it immediately without giving it time to dry overnight. The room where all this happened doesn't help to dry things quickly. The lesson learned so far is never to store these type of computers in a box before they are dry.

The part that was wet during storage was the depth sensor I think. There was an "ACS" icon on the computer screen when I put it in the box.

Thanks for the info. Hope your computer comes back okay and not too expensive to fix. Please do let me know what they say. As well, if you get the chance to ask them about storage in a mask box after drying, that would be interesting. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. Hope your computer comes back okay and not too expensive to fix. Please do let me know what they say. As well, if you get the chance to ask them about storage in a mask box after drying, that would be interesting. Thanks.

Just an fyi, I have always stored my computers in a closed box, a mask box or a pelican box, without any issues for years. What is different in this case is that I stored the computer in the box while it still had moisture without letting it dry overnight as I have done before. I was in a hurry to head out to travel and just put the computer in the mask box and ran out the door. I came back to check it about 3 weeks later and it still had moisture inside the mask box and the computer battery was drained. I waiting to hear back from the service center if it is just a battery change or if there is more to it.

Back
Top Bottom