Storage of dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone is interested, I heard back from Mares.

Mares response "If the computer stays in a sealed compartment it will not sense the ambient pressure, so it could cause an error on pressure measurement."

I followed up and asked about storage in a dive mask box for a couple of days with the battery installed while travelling between locations, and also about longer term storage in a mask box, with the battery removed but stored in the same mask box as the computer.

Mares response from an engineer in Italy, "I think the procedure followed by the customer is ok, I don't foresee risks"

They had no response as to why different computers may not have the same instructions about storage in a sealed box (understandably).

Regarding different computers on this issue, as far as I could see:

With such a warning: Mares Nemo Wide, Mares Quad, Mares Icon HD, Mares Icon, Mares Genius, Galileo Sol, Galileo G2

No such warning that I could see: Perdix, Petrel, Aeris A300CS, Suunto D9, Kaon, Oceanic DC101

Note about Mares manuals (English language): It looks like they changed their format for the manuals sometime between 2009 and 2012, and started using the title Instruction Manual rather than Owner's Guide. Also, it seems that around this time they started putting in the warning about sealed containers. So older manuals for the same computer may not have the warning. (Not exact, since they seem to have had a bit of a transition period between the formats)

And yes, I do have a bit of time on my hands, why do you ask?

Tursiops, Good observation. The Shearwater Petrel can use a 1.5V AA Alkaline battery and that could lead to terminal corrosion if left unattended for several months. However, I think appropriate to mention that, from the vast universe of batteries a Shearwater can take, installing a 1.5V alkaline is probably the worst choice. A 1.5V AA photo lithium or an LS14500 AA 3.6V lithium not only last longer than a standard 1.5V alkaline but also is insurance against corrosion.

Judging from my recent experience in repairing my old Mares Guardian I would recommend extreme caution if using alkaline AAA batteries in any computer that can take them. I was lucky because the battery compartment on the Guardian allowed full access from above and the battery contacts were removable by design. If the battery compartment opens on one side then you'd be out of luck if it gets down to soldering new contacts. (unless you have insane soldering skills)

Back
Top Bottom