Storing gear in a garage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esprise Me

Kelp forest dweller
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been renting most of my gear so far (wetsuit, BCD, regulator, cylinder, weights; I have the small stuff) but I'm thinking about buying. The issue isn't money but space; I live in a small city apartment without a lot of room for storage.

My apartment complex recently installed storage lockers in the parking garage that might be big enough for a set of gear (I'm told they're 78" tall by 33" wide by 61" deep.) But I've read that garages aren't ideal for gear storage due to the effects of the exhaust fumes on certain materials. How much of a problem is this? If I were to keep, say, the wetsuit and the regulator in my closet and everything else in the garage, would that be an adequate compromise? Or do I really need to suck it up and clear out space in my closet for everything?

Finally, I know keeping a full cylinder around is a little dicey, but I may not always have time to get mine filled the morning of or the night before diving. Is keeping a full cylinder in the garage any worse than keeping it in my closet?

Underbed space is already in use; we have a bed frame with built-in drawers that takes the place of another dresser or set of shelves.

I would say to maximize safety (leaving thousands of dollars worth of gear in a public place is a no no for me) you should get a small cabinet that is just big enough for your BCD ,reg and misc and the wet suit you can just hang on any nail you stick in the wall.
hardly takes any space if you organize it properly and you have the ease of mind knowing its safe inside your home.

I'm not too worried about security. It's not a public place; the garage can only be accessed by residents, the locker would only be accessible to me, and there are cameras everywhere. It's the same level of security my apartment has, actually, so anything that isn't safe in the locker isn't safe in my unit either. I'm asking about the deteriorating effects of the exhaust fumes from all the cars in the garage.

Just keep gear in your apartment. I have a small space. Everything lives on one side of my living room. I’ve got 6 tanks and 2 ponies. They’re out in the open, too. Tanks live in my vehicle during the diving season (I dive locally every weekend).

Do not worry about storing tanks full. I’m sure most tanks on the board are stored that way.

The exposed yoke/din orings might degrade faster in the garage, I’d check them more frequently. if they degrade, have your shop do a visual to check the tank neck oring as well. But it is fairly encased in metal. Maybe get some spare orings, hang on the storage wall and check for deterioration with time. They will be in worst shape than the ones inside your valves. In theory, the tanks might be at risk of bursting from a collision with a car, that seems rather remote.

Hoses I’d keep inside away from irritants. BC and wetsuit might degrade faster.

I've been renting most of my gear so far (wetsuit, BCD, regulator, cylinder, weights; I have the small stuff) but I'm thinking about buying. The issue isn't money but space; I live in a small city apartment without a lot of room for storage.

My apartment complex recently installed storage lockers in the parking garage that might be big enough for a set of gear (I'm told they're 78" tall by 33" wide by 61" deep.) But I've read that garages aren't ideal for gear storage due to the effects of the exhaust fumes on certain materials. How much of a problem is this? If I were to keep, say, the wetsuit and the regulator in my closet and everything else in the garage, would that be an adequate compromise? Or do I really need to suck it up and clear out space in my closet for everything?

Finally, I know keeping a full cylinder around is a little dicey, but I may not always have time to get mine filled the morning of or the night before diving. Is keeping a full cylinder in the garage any worse than keeping it in my closet?

EM...

Being luckier than some...I have an in-house work shop where all my dive gear lives...and is serviced...and is maintained...

I suggest you store your gear in a warm/clean space in the home of a member of your/your significant other's family...that would give you a key...and reasonable access...

I certainly would not consider storing dive gear in an apartment underground garage storage locker...

With the exception of tanks...which you can rent indefinately...''most'' OW single tank divers should be able to store a complete kit...with all exposure protection in two mesh duffels...make sure you keep your ballast separate...post dive cleaning can be performed in your bath tub or shower...hanging to dry can be accomplished wherever space permits...ensure your kit includes a couple of dive gear and BCD hangers...

Where there is a will...there is a way...

Best...

Warren

If there is a possibility that you could declutter enough to create some space, I would give it a try. Unless you are buying used, your wetsuit, bcd, and regulator represents a fairly significant investment, and should be stored in conditions that will give you the best possible lifespan.

Your gear hates Ozone (orings, nylon, etc). The good news is ozone does not come directly from car exhaust but rather is a process of sunlight and exhaust. Depending on if some car is shooting exhaust directly on your locker, it may smell. But considering the clean cars these days and no one should be sitting idling their engine for several hours, your gear will be just fine.

Lastly, it is a standing diver rule that you should always have a full tank (or 3) ready to dive in a minutes notice when your buddies call yelling ' EPIC VIZ & CONDITIONS, LETS GO! "

Zillions of warm weather divers store their gear in the garage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom