Storing my Whites Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

What is the best way to pack and store a fusion bullet? Is there a certain way I should roll it up? Zipped or unzipped? Thanks.

Hey Mjgoodman,
Once you have properly cleaned and dried your FUSION the best way to stow and store your suit is to close the zipper leaving it a quarter inch open from the dock. Apply some seal saver to the seals to extend their longevity. Roll it by starting from the feet with the suit facing down (zipper down) until it is rolled up fold the arms in and stow it in the traveller or draw string bag, which ever you got with your suit.

Many people will argue that hanging the suit is the best means of storage, however you will have more UV and air exchange to the seals which can cause them to deteriorate prematurely. So in a dark cool dry place in it's bag seems to work best.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Uhm, in the user manual for the Fusion it is stated that you store it with the zipper open, not closed. And yes, they say to pack it in the supplied bag.

…Many people will argue that hanging the suit is the best means of storage, however you will have more UV and air exchange to the seals which can cause them to deteriorate prematurely…

So the objectives are:

Dry: OK, fungus farm and corrosion = bad

Cool: Kinda vague… how about a temperature range

Dark: UV rapidly degrades latex, and probably other materials on the Fusion.

Air exchange? Air exchange is useful to prevent fungus growth and many areas don’t have low humidity. Is air exchange itself the issue or are the culprits Ozone and airborne petrochemical and combustion contaminants?

Question: Providing you can store the suit hanging in a cool, dry, UV free to totally dark location that is isolated from contaminants (no vehicles, combustion appliances, stored chemicals, or DC motors); wouldn’t it be better to hang the suit with only the outer protective zipper about half closed — maybe even upside-down? It seems to me that circulation of “good” air is desirable while reducing stress and cycles on the waterproof zipper is important.

Well, I have about ~800 ish dives on my Fusion. The seals and zipper look great. The Tech skin is a little bit faded

• I store it hung up
  • Dry zipper is closed
  • Hung in garage
  • Seal Saver neck & wrists every 6 dives or so (about every week and a half)
  • Wax zipper same

All the best, James

James, I'm curious how you hang it to store: feet up on a drysuit hanger or head up with a standard (probably wide) hanger through the neck hole?

Hung on a Trident (flips through catalog) drysuit hanger #DA22, neck up, feet dangling towards floor.

acc337_th.jpg

All the best, James

Thanks. Have the "feet up" drysuit hanger that works well for drying, but wasn't sure about storing it that way- lots of downward pull because all the weight is at the head.

Hung on a Trident (flips through catalog) drysuit hanger #DA22, neck up, feet dangling towards floor.

acc337_th.jpg

All the best, James

Just to clarify, is it hung with the suspenders on the hanger?

Is there some compelling reason to store the drysuit zipper in a "closed" state?
After the drysuit is thoroughly dried out, my girlfriend stores her rolled up, unzipped Fusion inside a Rubbermaid bin. The bin is shoved into a closet for a few months at a time. No issues over the last year.

I suppose that if one had a Fusion skin that contained neoprene it would be advisable to store the suit (or just the skin) on a hanger. This would prevent the introduction of any creases into the neoprene material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom