Stowing Dive Alert SMB on my kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HungoverDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the DiveAlert SMB with a 150ft finger reel to deploy from depth if I'm unable to find my boat's anchor line/etc.

However, I'm not sure how to secure it to my kit. The bottom has quite a bit of webbing, so it hangs about 6 inches off my side, which doesn't seem very hydrodynamic. How can I fix this? Is there a way to make this more secure and not so flappy?

You can see the SMB here Dive Alert Deluxe Surface Marker Buoy at LeisurePro

Also, how do you connect a blot snap or your reel to the SMB? I haven't quite figured out the best way. Suggestions recommend.

image.jpg

I keep mine pre rigged in a pocket, some people use mesh bags/sleeves attached to bottom of plate.

Lift Bags and Marking Tubes - Dive Gear Express

Here is the best video I could find for setting it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlT4RKfLzG0

I leave my reel and smb unrigged and kept in my pocket.

Thats exactly the method I use. I also tie a knot on the line at about the 5 meter mark so if for what ever reason I don't know my depth I still have a good idea for safety stop.

Right, I get that part. But my SMB doesn't have a SS ring to clip to, and instead has this extra webbing. See image.

Maybe using a pocket is the answer. Hmmm...

Attachments

• AQUDADSMB_3.jpg
    AQUDADSMB_3.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 491
Just view the webbing as a big webbing loop instead of ring, same thing. But yes, I agree storing it in a pocket or a mesh sleeve I linked to would be tidier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom