Stowing lift bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbm

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you carry a lift bag on your dives? I recently purchased a Subsalve 50# bag ( a bit bulkier than most, but it was locally available) and intend to carry it on all dives. I'm diving a Seaquest qd jacket. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jbm

jbm once bubbled...
Subsalve 50# bag *** bulkier than most*** but it was locally available*** Seaquest qd jacket*** Any ideas would be appreciated
Shoot jbm... I haven't got a clue where you could stick it...

Hey :idea:

How's about sticking it in... ummm... hmmm... do you have a pocket on the Jacket.... or your exposure suit??

Do you have hole's on the back / bottom part of the BC like a Backplate does? If you do you could use surgical tubing and make some loops right there and store it under your butt. You could do the same thing if you have a couple of small d-rings in the same spot. Dont make the straps to tight as you will need to be able to pull it out with ease.

I carry my 50# lift bag in a small pouch with bolt snaps on either end. The forward snap I attach to the lower left attachment ring on the ProQD, the aft to a breakaway (a "rubber band" cut from a bicycle innertube) that's then attached to a piece of automobile innertube I've slipped around the bottom of the tank. Much simpler than it sounds.
For my larger bags (or any Subsalve Quad) I roll them and just stuff them under the innertube band around the tank, on the left side of the tank close to my back. (picture attached)
Rick

I carry a halcyon 80# closed circut bag and spool solely for lift bag use in one of my drysuit thigh pockets.

And as scubanarc described, I keep a 100# carter open circut bag secured to the bottom of my BP with sugical tubing loops.

I applaude you for wanting to carry a lift bag on all dives, excellent descision. Remember though, you need enough line (spool, reel, etc..) to get it to the surface from any depth you might *theoreticaly* be at... and don't take the manuf. specs as truth when it comes to how much line is on that reel... measure it... if for nothing else more than peace of mind that you KNOW you have enough line at depth.

As for where to put it on a BC... well, I have seen alot of people just clip lift bags to a shoulder strap D-ring, but... well... it's cumbersome... and... well... it's in the way... and... aw, you get the picture, try and find another way if you can... folding it into a pocket has worked nicely for me with the CC bag. I don't really have any experience with a subsalve 50# though, I don't know if that's a feasable solution... I've only seen the bigger ones..

:blfish:
I stow my lift bag in a nylon sleeve(tube) clipped to my backplate.
The open end of the sleeve has a flat velcro closure.
I roll the bag into a cylinder, slide it into the sleeve, I attach a caribiner to the ring on the bag and insert it half way inot the bag and pinch the velcro tight around it.
It is clips with two snaps to my backplate, opening end down, so I can reach back and pull the caribiner and bag out of the sleeve.

WFM

Mike D

:blfish:

I've got the mc storage pack for my halcyon backplate. The 80 pound lift bag i have fits into that nicely, is completely out of the way and forgotten about until you need it. The bolt snap clips off to the rear crotch strap d-ring and is quite easily reachable with doubles and singles - and quite easy to pull out when you need it. Just have to remember to remove it every so often to let it dry out as it does get a bit of water inside sometimes. I think this is a very clean solution.

steve

Back
Top Bottom