Stowing the long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The likelihood of somebody approaching me from behind to take my regulator seems low enough to me that I'm not worrying about it.
Agreed.

Follow rule #1 and this will never happen.

Well, you know, I've never been huge on Rule #1 in its most general application . . . but I keep sticking my nose out of my own diving universe and yanking it back in and slamming the door behind it :)

That DOES seem far fetched. But IF it happened, couldn't the choking donor simply spin to the left and thus free the long hose?

Yes they could do that.

To understand the BSAC "tests" you have to realise where they're coming from.

Its a group of people that hate anything remotely connected to DIR. They decided hog looping was dangerous and should be banned. Due to no evidence to back this up they ran closed "trials" in a pool (which as far as anyone knows weren't videod, independently reviewed, no details of controls etc) and tried all combinations they could think of until they managed to cause a diver problems.

As opposed to a proper fair test where all methods would be tested against each other and pros/cons weighed up which wasn't done.

I came across this picture the other day:

http://www.omsdive.com/images/b29-06a.jpg

Other than not being able to do S drills what is the disadvantage of stowing your reg like this? It looks like a much cleaner way of doing things.

How come this never caught on?

It did catch on for a while, along with some other methods like running the long hose down the middle of the doubles along the back side and multiple loops secured by bungie under the manifold. Check out the NSS-CDS Cave Diving manual for other methods.

Along with the disadvantage you mention, not being able to re-stow the long hose, the stuffed hose along the side creates snag/entanglement potential. The stuffed hose also makes it more difficult to adjust the length once its set up.

Not being able to re-stow is more of a problem than just performing an S drill at the start of the dive. In an OOG, the dependent diver may be able to get off the donors long hose in the middle of the dive by switching to a stage or deco bottle. If you're in cave, having the long hose flapping around can be more than a simple nuisance.

There is no advantage to hose stuffing. There is no disadvantage to behind the neck. What may seem like a distinction without meaning on a trivial bounce dive in Lake Mead can become a big deal on a lengthy penetration dive in cave or wreck.

I was only thinking that an OOG situation would be rare, and if one did happen you would have the opportunity to re stow it by looping around the canister and neck as usual once the situation was resolved.

Until that OOG situation happened, this looked a little bit cleaner.

I don't think the length adjustment would be a big deal. That is something you can work out before a dive and have a mark on the hose knowing where to stuff it to.

I'll keep looping my long hose out of habbit, but this seemed interesting to me when I saw it.

Interesting historical tidbit, that was how many folks did it before the DIR way became in vogue.

Behind the neck isn't the "DIR way" anymore than a using a long hose is the "DIR way" or Al Gore "invented" the internet. "DIR" methods were around decades before DIR or GUE. What DIR did was assert their definition of existing methods were best practices. Loudly.

I was only thinking that an OOG situation would be rare, and if one did happen you would have the opportunity to re stow it by looping around the canister and neck as usual once the situation was resolved.

Until that OOG situation happened, this looked a little bit cleaner.

I don't think the length adjustment would be a big deal. That is something you can work out before a dive and have a mark on the hose knowing where to stuff it to.

I'll keep looping my long hose out of habbit, but this seemed interesting to me when I saw it.

In a practical aspect, taking your original post into consideration, how "clean" do you want to be and why? From what I have seen, around the can and neck, in backmount, is pretty "clean". In backmount, even though you can force your way through some short term tight stuff, you generally stay away from smaller areas where snags can be an issue and in bigger cave. Even so, in the smaller areas, if you know something may snag, you take measures to keep that from happening in those areas as you pass through. So I ask................how clean is clean? Is that getting into the area of unnecessary overkill just for the look .

While I really think stuff should not be hanging unnecessarily, practicallity needs to be the decision maker. I had a friend's dad (when I was a teenager) who told me "You can have a sharp knife or a pretty knife......but you can't have both".

In the end, you want what works. In backmount I would not stuff my hose because the OOA issue may be temporary and the dive may be able to continue. Wrapping makes that a lot easier. We need to practice for the hypothetical worst case scenario, it happens sometimes. More often little inconveniences happen and we don't have to call a dive. In sidemount I stuff my long hose and can replace it pretty easily, or I can always wrap it if I can't get it back in the innertube.

So, again, how "clean" is "clean" until it is not practical and just pretty? At this point it serves no real purpose other than looks. Pretty doen't make us better, just prettier We have to balance the two. :coffee:

Behind the neck isn't the "DIR way" anymore than a using a long hose is the "DIR way" or Al Gore "invented" the internet. "DIR" methods were around decades before DIR or GUE. What DIR did was assert their definition of existing methods were best practices. Loudly.

Go explain that to BSAC. They seem to be under the impression that there is only one training agency (GUE) teaching and promoting this method.

Not being able to re-stow is more of a problem than just performing an S drill at the start of the dive. In an OOG, the dependent diver may be able to get off the donors long hose in the middle of the dive by switching to a stage or deco bottle. If you're in cave, having the long hose flapping around can be more than a simple nuisance.

You may be in the middle of restricted passage as well and your buddy may not be able to get around beside/behind you in order to stow it for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom