Stranded diver rescued - Catalina Island, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He was scuba diving, but he waived an orange LIFE VEST at passing boats?

Who the hell dives with a life vest?

I call BS, he sunk the boat for insurance money, and swam to shore, wearing the life vest.

He was scuba diving, but he waived an orange LIFE VEST at passing boats?

Who the hell dives with a life vest?

I call BS, he sunk the boat for insurance money, and swam to shore, wearing the life vest.

Maybe it was "floatation device" in the original report, which could have been an SMB, and that then morphed into "life vest" in the press report? I wouldn't put too much stock into individual words in such reports - after all, according to many reports, we're all using oxygen tanks on every dive. And, if the was planned, wouldn't he have used a PLB to make his rescue faster and easier?

Well, I too found the article amusing for saying he waived an orange life vest. Without watching the video, I shall assume it was actually his msb?

The life vest story is apparently correct. Where he came ashore, a boat had wrecked some months earlier and the orange life vest was actually in their wreckage, which he stumbled across.

- Ken

Maybe it has been found and not reported. Recovery of a material item is not really newsworthy if it happens 3 or 4 days after the incident.

Back
Top Bottom