Stream2sea sunscreen coats my gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're getting it on your gear, you're using wayyy too much.

Well I think you just hit the nail on the head here. I'll go with the "little dab will do ya" mindset from now on.

If there's so much excess on your gear just think about what you're putting into the ocean.

Agreed. So I'm glad it's not damaging to the reefs. But I'll use a lot less in the future.

I also stopped wearing sunscreen and used proper exposure protection.

Fair enough, but when it's hot topside and I don't need any thermal protection, I prefer to wear the minimum. (Hence the ecologically safe sunscreen).

I'll be going to some freshwater springs for a series of dives in the near future. If I can still see the "haze" after that, I'll break out the liquid dawn.

Thanks

Consider asking the manufacturer if you can't figure out the carrier base from the ingredient label. Mineral-based sun blocks are basically "goo" loaded with lots of powdered rocks. Whether that's titanium dioxide or chalk, it is still just powdered rocks and no enzyme product is likely to eat the rocks. What you want to do is attack the carrier, which is probably some type of "oil" listed in the ingredients. Soaps (especially Liquid Tide detergent) or degreasers may be the way to go, bearing in mind you don't want a degreaser that attacks the rubber, etc.

Titanium dioxide based sunscreens (that's what stream2sea is) are greasy in my experience. Put a bunch of dish soap into a bucket and wash your gear with it. Some gentle scrubbing will probably help. Just make sure you rinse all the soap off your gear afterward.

Most mineral-based sunscreens are purely oil-based, which helps the minerals spread better. Ours is NOT oil based and will not be heavy/greasy on the skin (as long as you don't over apply). It takes a little more effort to rub in, but once you do, it feels great and shouldn't leave much residue on your gear. I'm happy to send a sample if you'd like to give ours a shot - just send an email with your mailing address to hello@stream2sea.com

Anyone have an easy solution to remove it from regulator hoses, etc?

Thanks for being ecoconscious! You'll get the best results if you give the sunscreen a few minutes to dry before getting into or handling your gear. But no worries if some gets on - a little soap and water usually does the trick. If its thick, you might need a scrub brush, but it should come right out. As @Wookie appropriately said, a little of our sunscreen goes a very long way. Check out the application video on our products page if you haven't already :)

Tagging @Autumnb who might have some insight.
Thanks for the tag, @outofofficebrb! - Autumn

I second the notion that you don't need to use a ton of sunblock, but remember to apply inside before you go out. Between dives when re-applying, dry your skin as best you can. Sweat and water will slow down the absorption and make more rub off on your gear, which is bad for the ocean and your wallet.

The Stream2Sea stuff is great, but I also recommend SolrX if you can find it, their face version is nice. It's zinc based instead of TiO2, and I find it works nicely on your face, forehead, etc. I know a hat works nicely too, but UV light does reflect off the boat and the water, so in my opinion you should also always use sunblock on your face. But, with an SPF50 (remember it's not a linear scale, so SPF50 is not twice as strong as SPF25, but you still want to use SPF 30-50 if possible) sunblock and a hat, you should be good to go.

Maybe I'm crazy but I like to mix it up. If I apply Stream2Sea in the morning, I use SolrX when I reapply, and vice versa. Lets me support more than one company, and somehow I feel better by mixing different minerals.

For my tattoos, I will often put both brands on at the same time, one after the other, and I do a first coat before I even leave the house. Better safe than sorry.

I tried it for the first time earlier this month. Didn't find it diffucult to apply but I only needed it for face, arms and chest. A little really does go a long way. Noticed a few white streaks on my wetsuit but minimal and came off easily. Overall very pleased with the product and will continue to use for dive trips.

Also loved the leave in conditioner post dive.

I tried it for the first time earlier this month. Didn't find it diffucult to apply but I only needed it for face, arms and chest. A little really does go a long way. Noticed a few white streaks on my wetsuit but minimal and came off easily. Overall very pleased with the product and will continue to use for dive trips.

Also loved the leave in conditioner post dive.

Have you tried their tinted version? I love it heaps, especially for the face...way more than their regular, untinted sunscreen. It’s like a matte B.B. cream and is very cosmetically elegant. No white cast, either!

I used a lot of their products exclusively on a recent long trip and shared my thoughts about the majority of the line here. Reef friendly sunscreen and hair products

Have you tried their tinted version? I love it heaps, especially for the face...way more than their regular, untinted sunscreen. It’s like a matte B.B. cream and is very cosmetically elegant. No white cast, either!

I used a lot of their products exclusively on a recent long trip and shared my thoughts about the majority of the line here. Reef friendly sunscreen and hair products
Its on my radar but haven’t tried it yet.

Maybe a free sample? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom