"Streamlined" reg setup questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would add that if you are doing the 40" under the arm with an elbow on it (I do), the S-Drill videos above are more complex than what you need. The motions they use are built around the long hose being looped behind your head, and tuck in/hooked on something at the waist band. For me, I just present my primary straight to them with my right hand, while plugging my pie hole with my necklaced alternate with my left hand. This results in the 40" hose running under my right arm while presenting it, and as soon as the receiver has it, I can slide my elbow over or under the the hose to result in it running over or under my shoulder as dictated by the situation. Reads more complicated than it is... The full on 7' hose S-Drill doesn't look that complex, but with an under arm 40" it's even easier (of course recognizing that their are environments where the 40" is not sufficient, but I don't dive those conditions).

Respectfully,\

James

p.s. - Try the primary donate style, practice in a pool or benign dive environment.... and if you don't like it, switch back. The best setup is the one that works FOR YOU, and that your dive buddy is aware of.

I would urge you to take a GoPro or similar to the pool and swim inches over the camera in whatever configuration you are considering. (Hoses are cheap, borrowing is even cheaper.) It will be obvious what is "sticking out" or "hanging low" as you go by.

My thoughts on the 4 variants I found when I explored this topic myself are below, but any of them will work well in my view. Afterward, the least streamlined hose will be one of the other hoses and subject to further optimization. The video doesn't lie.

The under-arm+swivel (or fixed/angled adapter) is one option. I don't see that working well without the swivel/adapter. Your OP mentioned going behind the neck, which does NOT happen with this approach. I imagine this may hang slightly lower than other options (when in horizontal trim), but I haven't personally tried it and could be totally off base.

I use a 5 ft. under arm+around neck in open water and find it VERY streamlined. The hose stays against my body rather than hanging below it when trimmed horizontal. The hose does not tuck into the belt, crossing nearly horizontal across my chest if I were standing. (I'm 6'2" tall. Might could use a 5.5 ft hose, but I don't feel an overwhelming need for it.)

The 7 ft option loops around something at your right hip (knife, weight pouch, flashlight pouch, etc.) then up and behind your neck. Alternatively, skip the anchoring device and stuff a bight of the hose into the waist belt. This can come up toward your neck a little more left of center, so it may be more desirable in a dry suit where the center of your chest is more crowded. (I'm revisiting this option myself now for this very reason.)

Good luck in finding what works for you!

40" with a 90 degree swivel really works nicely.

This is the daughter....

upload_2021-3-29_11-28-2.png

Only "flaw" is to shorten the bungied octo...

40" with a 90 degree swivel really works nicely.

This is the daughter....

View attachment 650587

Only "flaw" is to shorten the bungied octo...
Lookin good.

An alternative is an Air2 and ditch the octo altogether. :)

I have two hoses on my rig. 40" primary under the arm and the inflator on an Air2. Transmitter screwed directly into the reg. No SPG.

Not sure how you could get more streamlined then that.

Lookin good.

An alternative is an Air2 and ditch the octo altogether. :)

I have two hoses on my rig. 40" primary under the arm and the inflator on an Air2. Transmitter screwed directly into the reg. No SPG.

Not sure how you could get more streamlined then that.

Yeah, I have a couple Air2 from "back in the day". Had thought about it a few times.... Thing is, I have warm and cold water rigs for them (wife & daughter), and want to keep a consistent system for them . Not a fan of the Air2 in the cold water of Tobermory.... Still might.... I would on my rig, but I mostly now dive a double hose on our family trips..

When diving, one of the most serious and immediately life-threatening situations is a failure of breathing gas. When a diver donates a breathable source to an out of gas diver, it should be the regulator they are currently breathing from. This method guarantees that the person most in need of a fully functioning regulator will get it. Any other regulator or contraption may be non-functioning or contain debris or sand. In many out-of-gas situations, the air-starved diver pulls the working regulator from the donor's mouth, which means that if you have practiced and prepared for this (S-Drill), you will be more comfortable when the time comes. So, with that said, I recommend the long hose (7 feet hose), which gives you plenty of room to navigate a single file passage or comfortable space between you and a panicked diver. Also, the backup regulator should be on a bungee (22-24-inch hose). Diving in an equipment configuration that is streamlined allows one to move forward into more technical training with little or no adjustments. It will also give one the confidence and skill to have more fun with less worry about gadgets and gizmos hanging from every D-Ring on recreational dives. With that, why dive into an equipment configuration that must be changed if you would like the option to take more advanced courses in the future?

With that, why dive into an equipment configuration that must be changed if you would like the option to take more advanced courses in the future?
I am of the belief that you should have the waterman skills and be proficient enough to jump in and dive any rig or configuration. I have a set of doubles with a long hose set up, but I ain't diving that for some fun recreational dives offshore. I'll use the tool necessary for the job and not bring extra unnecessary gear.

This is going to probably start a flame up on this thread, but there ain't nothing streamlined about a 7 foot long hose compared to a simple hose routed under your arm directly to your mouth with an elbow on the reg. And as far as sharing gas the procedure is nearly identical as the long hose with the exception of not having to bring the long hose over your head. If a person can't manage that, they shouldn't be diving.

I am of the belief that you should have the waterman skills and be proficient enough to jump in and dive any rig or configuration. I have a set of doubles with a long hose set up, but I ain't diving that for some fun recreational dives offshore. I'll use the tool necessary for the job and not bring extra unnecessary gear.

This is going to probably start a flame up on this thread, but there ain't nothing streamlined about a 7 foot long hose compared to a simple hose routed under your arm directly to your mouth with an elbow on the reg. And as far as sharing gas the procedure is nearly identical as the long hose with the exception of not having to bring the long hose over your head. If a person can't manage that, they shouldn't be diving.

Agree to disagree. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom