Streamlining a pistol grip light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanQ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just recieved a UK SL400 as a gift from someone I know who recently quit diving. It's sitting on my desk and I'm wondering how to streamline this thing. I've already removed the lanyard and replaced it with a bolt snap; now I am left wondering where and how to attach it to my rig. I'm currently using a one peice hogarthian harness with a D-ring on each shoulder, hip and one on the crotch strap. My old primary, and now my secondary light, is secured along my right shoulder strap.

Any ideas?

Short of cutting the pistol grip off you will not be able to streamline the light.
How did you attach the bolt snap? What do you do if you have to "let go the
light" for a second or two?

I have a UKC4 Pistol Grip and I was trying to figure out the same thing. I dive a comparable setup. So I'm also interested in what people have done. My solution so far is this.

I have two clips on it. One I have O-ring and zip tied directly to the hole on the grip where the original lanyard went. And from this same hole I have a loop of nylon line at the end of which is the second clip. Topside, and in the water when I'm not using it both clips go to a shoulder D-ring. When I use the light I unhook off the D-ring the one that is attached directly to the light, leaving the "leash" still connected to me. If I have to let go of the light for a moment I can do so without the light wandering off somewhere.

THere's got to be a better way but so far so good.

Can you switch the handle to a lantern grip? I find it easier to use on a dive than a pistol grip.

I found an acceptable method for storing my Light Cannon.

I took some 2" webbing and made a "holster" for the handle.

The holster fits on my waist band and the handle slides into the pocket. I secure it to my right side waist d-ring with a bolt snap.

Something similar could be fashioned for you light.

the K

I've got a pistol-grip light, and IMO whoever designed pistol-grip dive lights was not diving when they had the idea. This thread made some ideas come to mind: I wonder if it would be possible to put a Goodman-style handle on it and use it sideways on your hand? Heavy yes but you carried your tanks to the boat, no?

Brian1968:
I have a UKC4 Pistol Grip and I was trying to figure out the same thing. I dive a comparable setup. So I'm also interested in what people have done. My solution so far is this.

I have two clips on it. One I have O-ring and zip tied directly to the hole on the grip where the original lanyard went. And from this same hole I have a loop of nylon line at the end of which is the second clip. Topside, and in the water when I'm not using it both clips go to a shoulder D-ring. When I use the light I unhook off the D-ring the one that is attached directly to the light, leaving the "leash" still connected to me. If I have to let go of the light for a moment I can do so without the light wandering off somewhere.

THere's got to be a better way but so far so good.

Most usually I carry a canister light but when I choose to NOT use that light I use a Princeton Tec "ShockWave". There is one bolt snap tied, using parachute cord, to the handle. There is "3-strand loop" of shock-cord that is weaved through the handle as well.; I think through the same hold as the bolt snap tie-off. Until I need the light it is clipped off. When using the light I have my hand through the shock-cord loop. If I have to let go the light it only drops an inch or so because of the shock-cord wrapped around my wrist.

you could just slide the handle through your mask strap and go hands free, just don't look your dive buddy in the eyes, they hate the blinding

The Kraken:
I found an acceptable method for storing my Light Cannon.

I took some 2" webbing and made a "holster" for the handle.

The holster fits on my waist band and the handle slides into the pocket. I secure it to my right side waist d-ring with a bolt snap.

Something similar could be fashioned for you light.

the K

A regular cannon slinger you are. :wink:

You beccha sweet tank-banger, Pilgrim . . . .

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom