Stretching dry suit neck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If stretching over an object hasn't worked after 24 hours, it isn't going to work at all.

Your options are;

(1) Have bigger seals fitted or
(2) Trim the seals.

(1) is obviously needless expense if you can avoid it whilst with (2) if you make a mistake you might end up needing new seals anyway :depressed:

I think in this case I'd give trimming a go if I were you. Sharp scissors, going slowly and only doing a little at a time are the key.

As others have said KY lube works really well. Surgilube is slightly cheaper but, if you want really cheap, vet-lube (intended for the internal examination of farm animals) works and comes in gallon containers. However, buying large quantities of any such lubricants will get you some funny looks and explaining, 'Oh, it's to help me get my rubber suit on' almost never helps.

Also, is plain corn starch ok? I'm allergic to talcum powder. I assume that corn starch baby powder can't be used? Are there any lotions or things commonly used by women that need to be avoided on dive day?

Plain corn starch will work okay as a seal lubricant. I like pure talc better, but I'm biased. :wink:

An allergy to talcum powder is quite rare. Was it pure talc, free of any additives like perfume or scent? If you'd like to try a small free sample of my USP-Grade pure talcum powder, just pm me, I'd be glad to help. :)

To your question about lotions, latex will generally degrade faster when exposed to oils (including those in some lotions and even perfumed talcum powder). Generally, it will extend the life of the latex if you don't have any lotions or oils on your skin. In addition, reducing natural skin oils will help, especially in hot weather. I thoroughly wash my neck and wrists on dive day! That's not to say they don't get washed thoroughly at other times, too. :D

Dave C

I wouldn't stretch them out. The whole idea is that they DO stretch, which makes the seal on your skin.

The cone-shaped seals (DUI uses them) need to be trimmed (.5 to 1 ring at a time) to fit. I put the seal over a small diameter tank (like an al14 or similar) and use a razor blade to make a smooth, uninterrupted cut.

Bottle neck seals (more common on wrists) need to be fitted prior to having them installed.

Latex does stretch over time, but it takes months to years (depending on how corrosive your skin oil is) to see a change. Latex seals, as AJ said, either need to be trimmed or properly sized. If you decide to trim yours, I would HIGHLY suggest you do it the first time under supervision. The cut HAS to be smooth -- if there are any dog-ears in it, they will be starting points for tears in short order.

Lynne, I know my neck seals seem a bit tight when I try them on at Gamble's, but after a few dives they feel comfortable. I'd almost suggest that perhaps they stretch a small amount at first, then the stretching is very gradual over the next year or two as the seal wears out.

OP, where did you buy the suit? They should have helped make sure the seals fit, but honestly, not every dive shop knows a lot about drysuits. I was lucky, I live(d) right down the road from the man widely regarded as the expert of drysuits, Steve Gamble. He's a whiz on seal sizing.

Neck seals often need to be trimmed before use. Stretching over a tank and using a razor works fine. You MUST not have any nicks or dog ears as others have said, those are rips waiting to happen, and they often happen right away, or at very bad times. Gamble trims before he installs on the suit, and he uses a big pair of shiny scissors. I think once the seal is in a suit, the tank method is far superior. If you search here, you'll find more in depth instructions I am sure. Google might even have a video or two.

Wrist seals can be cone or bottle shaped. If it gradually goes to a small end, that's a cone seal, and you can trim those like a neck seal. If it is like a tiny hole, then suddenly it gets bigger when it reaches the suit, that's a bottle neck seal. Those come in sizes and should be sized for you. I'll be honest, the perfect size for me is just tight enough that after about 2 hours, my pinky fingers and ring fingers go kind of numb. Any looser, and the seals leak too much. I'm a big fan of bottle seals though, over cone seals, for the wrist.

My advice is, try to find someone in your area who is good with seals. So easy to go in person and tell them what you need. Otherwise, call up an expert and ask them about getting new seals that fit, goodness knows what ways they have for knowing seal size. Stretching them out any longer won't help you any, as far as I know. Seals aren't supposed to be loose, but too tight seals are bad. It's an art as much as it is a science. Those silicone seals will be a godsend if they ever finally come out, but I wasn't able to get my hands on any when my wrist seals failed a few months back, sadly.

Plain corn starch will work okay as a seal lubricant. I like pure talc better, but I'm biased. :wink:

An allergy to talcum powder is quite rare. Was it pure talc, free of any additives like perfume or scent? If you'd like to try a small free sample of my USP-Grade pure talcum powder, just pm me, I'd be glad to help. :)

To your question about lotions, latex will generally degrade faster when exposed to oils (including those in some lotions and even perfumed talcum powder). Generally, it will extend the life of the latex if you don't have any lotions or oils on your skin. In addition, reducing natural skin oils will help, especially in hot weather. I thoroughly wash my neck and wrists on dive day! That's not to say they don't get washed thoroughly at other times, too. :D

Dave C
Yes, the allergy is to pure talc. I was tested because I thought it was a latex allergy which is really a pain in the medical profession and even worse when undergoing major surgery myself.

I can imagine how nice silicone seals would be. What's taking so long?
I have plenty of KY. Don't think it's going to keep me from fainting, though.
I'll see if I can find a local drysuit expert. Anyone know one in Phoenix? Otherwise, I'll see why the manufacturer can do. Since it's totally new they may just swap them out for me.

I'll be honest, the perfect size for me is just tight enough that after about 2 hours, my pinky fingers and ring fingers go kind of numb. Any looser, and the seals leak too much. I'm a big fan of bottle seals though, over cone seals, for the wrist.
Be careful, that's a great way to get bent. You might want to consider the cone seals if there's not a bottle seal that works for you without going numb.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom