Strobe doesn't always fires

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoyN

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I just recently acquired the RDX-500D, 2X YS-250, and the Converter for it.

About 2 out of 5 pictures, the strobe doesn't fire. Is it because the strobe has a slow recycle time or anything? Maybe I'm expecting it to be way to fast or something?

My camera is the Canon T1i at the moment. Any help especially from Bill would be great. :eyebrow:

Hi Roy-
What conveter are you using? The YS-250's have a recycle time of 1.8sec from a full dump, so that shouldnt be the problem. Please verify all your settings from the camera, converter and strobes from the user manuals.
For your setup, you should have the following:
RDX-500D housing with hotshoe connection attached to camera.
YS Converter/C connected to the Converter bulkhead
2 x 5-pin sync cords from each side of the converter to each strobe

I'm using the S&s model number 50116 converter, the one design for the YS-250pro. Hot shoe, sync cord, and other stuff are well secure and connected. This happens when I use manual mode on the T1i where it will either fire the strobe or won't fire it.

I have not seen this problem with the T1I but I mostly use the optical trigger to fire my strobes. The 250 has the optical triggering capability, can you try and see if you can trigger it optically? The other thing to test is to see if the each cord can trigger each strobe without the converter plugged in. When I was using the TTL converter I had all sorts of weird behavior that was difficult to reproduce which is why I went optical. The real advantage is that you can get e-ttl without conversion circuitry.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom