strobe for Olympus 4000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloysius

Registered
Reaction score
I want to purchase a strobe for an Olympus 4000 with a PT-010 housing. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible, but it has to be a decent strobe. Can anyone give me some suggestions? And websites that I could purchase it online.

Thanks

first two that come to my mind are as follows
one I believe the sea and sea YS-90 seems to be a favorite among most olympus divers ans seems to be the easiest to set up . The another is the ikelite 125 strobe
they YS-90 seems to be easier to set up but the Ikelite 125 has more light power and wider area of coverage others will be able to go into more detail DEE wear you at when I need your impute !!

The S&S YS90DX is a good choice and I think the cheapest available. Your PT-10 does not allow hot wiring so the strobe is used in slave mode, meaning the internal flash from your camera will trigger it to fire. This connection is made via a fiber optic cable that attaches with a velcro patch. I've been using this same strobe for almost 2 years with no problems whatever.

Medic is right, the Ikelite 125 strobe is a bit stronger with a slightly wider coverage. Instead of a fiber optic cable you'll have a seperate aiming sensor to keep lined up, if you want to use the TTL capabilities of the strobe, I believe you'll also have to purchase a manual controller. Someone who uses Ikelite strobes will have to tell you the details.

There's also a new Inon Z strobe that's gaining alot of attention. I don't know what the prices are, though.

For a simple, easy to use, manual strobe with plenty of coverage for your camera, the YS90DX will serve you well. My opinion only but I've never regretted mine!

Isn't the YS-25DX a lower cost version of YS-90? I know it's got soewhat lesser performance specs but wouldn't it also be compatible? What's the difference in cost vs. the performance-thoughts?

The Ikelite DS-50 with the 10-step manual controller is similar to the YS-90DX in output, coverage and price. It's as easy (if not easier) to setup as the YS-90DX. The DS-125 is a bigger more powerful strobe.

The Inon that's getting good reviews is the D-180 - it works with a fibre optic cable, is pre-flash aware, built-in focus/modelling/aiming light and has a recycling time of 1.5s with NiMH batteries. It's an 'external auto' strobe - meaning it has a built in light sensor that quenches the strobe when it thinks the correct exposure has been achieved at the selected f-stop, and it has 4 manual steps as well. The Inon Z-220 is the brighter strobe but it was designed more for non-preflash and film cameras and has features that are more customised for Inon housings..

sigelr once bubbled...
Isn't the YS-25DX a lower cost version of YS-90? I know it's got soewhat lesser performance specs but wouldn't it also be compatible? What's the difference in cost vs. the performance-thoughts?

I don't think the YS-25DX has the strength you need for underwater. There are already some folks who say the YS90DX isn't strong enough for full coverage of some lenses.

I don't know the cost because, to me, it has never been considered.

Thanks for the information and advice, guys. You have been a really big help. I am pretty much, close to being "sold" on the YS90DX, but I have another question. I have found the YS90DX at several online dealers but none of their websites give much info on mounting it to the PT-010. Does it come with all the necessary hardware to mount it, or do I need to purchase that seperately?

Thanks Again

Are you talking about connecting the strobe to the PT-10? Or Mounting the strobe itself?

The PT-10 housing does not allow hot wiring so your connection will be via a fiber optic cable. This cable will attach to a velcro patch installed over the diffuser panel of your internal flash. Very simple and I've found it to be very secure.

You'll need a tray and strobe arm to hold the strobe itself. This is a whole other subject, as there are several ways to go with this. I use a small Fish Eye tray with flexible infinity arm, total cost about $150. The are UCLS systems that cost in the upper $100's+. You pretty much have to decide on your strobe arm first so you can get a thray with the proper connectors for the arms.

Check with...
Ryan at Underwater Camera Pro for the UCLS info and prices, S&S arms and trays, among others.

Light and Motion for Infinity Tray and Arms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom