Strobe for Olympus C-8080 , PT-23 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought a C-8080, and had the same camera, and sold it, with a DS-50 strobe.

Most of my photo's are withen 2' - 4' range, of the object when possible , here in Florida, and depth's shallow as 30' on well lite reef's, to maybe 100' and some wreck's, which isn't to offten, I like shooting pic's in shallow water's, and bright colors come out.

The Pt-23 housing in order to use TTl, needs at least a $250.00 upgrade, in which case I would dump the Pt-23 housing and switch to an Ikelite, which i may do anyway down the road.

I has a wide lens, and I will be shooting with both the wide lens on and off, and mybe going to a Dome Port also down the road.

I have a few question's, As I'm trying to get a strobe set up withen this week, as I'm going on a live-aboard over thanksgiving weekend, and want to use the camera for the trip.

I was looking into the Ds-51 with the EV controller, cause it's around $500 bucks, with the upgraded arm's, and I'd like to keep around that price, then add a more powerfull strobe like the Ikelite DS-125 , or 200 , I think the 200 is only TTl though.

Also, I heard Sea&Sea makes nice strobe with fiber opitc cable's, any pro's and con's to using the fiber optic cable's ? I heard they fire about 50% of the time, depending how much light is around the camera

I thought maybe getting the DS-51 with Ev Controller for now, then adding a Ds-125 down the road. I know I seen them on Ebay come and go, thing is I'm pressed for time.

Am I better off just shooting the camera for the trip with the Int strobe set up, and wait for a deal on Ebay? Or just invest into a new strobe set up, and take it along as the years go by.

FYI, I'm watching a Ikelite housing on Ebay now, for the C-8080, and would prefere to use the Ikelite housing over the Pt-23 set-up.

So TTL, may be very possible, which would open the door's for more strobe's.

Any help would be appreicated, and I know I'm asking alot of question's.

My background consisted of a Olympus C-5050 with a DS-50 Strobe, Ikelite housing,
to a Olympus 5060 on a PT-20 housing, just using the int strobe,
to a Olympus C-8080 with a Ikelite housing, with a Ds-50 strobe, which never even got wet, and back to a Oly C-8080 set up , with a PT-23 housing, with the wide lens port, and wide lens , and need a stobe

Thanks agqain :)

FLTEKDIVER:
I just bought a C-8080, and had the same camera, and sold it, with a DS-50 strobe.

Most of my photo's are withen 2' - 4' range, of the object when possible , here in Florida, and depth's shallow as 30' on well lite reef's, to maybe 100' and some wreck's, which isn't to offten, I like shooting pic's in shallow water's, and bright colors come out.

The Pt-23 housing in order to use TTl, needs at least a $250.00 upgrade, in which case I would dump the Pt-23 housing and switch to an Ikelite, which i may do anyway down the road.

I has a wide lens, and I will be shooting with both the wide lens on and off, and mybe going to a Dome Port also down the road.

I have a few question's, As I'm trying to get a strobe set up withen this week, as I'm going on a live-aboard over thanksgiving weekend, and want to use the camera for the trip.

I was looking into the Ds-51 with the EV controller, cause it's around $500 bucks, with the upgraded arm's, and I'd like to keep around that price, then add a more powerfull strobe like the Ikelite DS-125 , or 200 , I think the 200 is only TTl though.

Also, I heard Sea&Sea makes nice strobe with fiber opitc cable's, any pro's and con's to using the fiber optic cable's ? I heard they fire about 50% of the time, depending how much light is around the camera

I thought maybe getting the DS-51 with Ev Controller for now, then adding a Ds-125 down the road. I know I seen them on Ebay come and go, thing is I'm pressed for time.

Am I better off just shooting the camera for the trip with the Int strobe set up, and wait for a deal on Ebay? Or just invest into a new strobe set up, and take it along as the years go by.

FYI, I'm watching a Ikelite housing on Ebay now, for the C-8080, and would prefere to use the Ikelite housing over the Pt-23 set-up.

So TTL, may be very possible, which would open the door's for more strobe's.

Any help would be appreicated, and I know I'm asking alot of question's.

My background consisted of a Olympus C-5050 with a DS-50 Strobe, Ikelite housing,
to a Olympus 5060 on a PT-20 housing, just using the int strobe,
to a Olympus C-8080 with a Ikelite housing, with a Ds-50 strobe, which never even got wet, and back to a Oly C-8080 set up , with a PT-23 housing, with the wide lens port, and wide lens , and need a stobe

Thanks agqain :)

I bought the Ikelite DS-125 package deal, with EV Manual Controller, and deluxe arms, etc, today !!

Lets see how it works out, comparison to my DS-50 !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom