Strobe Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Canon Powershot S95 with dual YS-01s, activated through a flash-sync cable. I went on two dives today.

Strobes were normal on first dive. However, during the second dive, after a few shots, only one strobe would fire. The other strobe would be on, but it would not fire (still could use the target light, etc.).

Possible reasons? 1. Maybe it's the sync cable which is activated through flash - maybe it's malfunctioning or broken? 2. Maybe it's batteries - both strobes' batteries were fully charged the day before, and the strobes last way longer than my camera battery.

PS - Does not seem to be any signs of flooding. I'll update it when I open it up later.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2012 at 02:53 PM ----------

Based on a few tests, the flash-sync fibre optic cable is malfunctioning on one side. I switched around the strobes, and both strobes work fine with that one side of the fibre optic cable.

How does this malfunction happen? Am I cleaning and storing the cable wrong? I usually just soak the cable with the rest of my camera gear. How do you all clean and store it?

I.

How does this malfunction happen? Am I cleaning and storing the cable wrong? I usually just soak the cable with the rest of my camera gear. How do you all clean and store it?

That is why most divers have moved away from cable attachment to FO cable. if it breaks it takes 2 mins to fix it. I was always having this problem with my Nikon set up.

I have a fiber-optic cable actually. I contacted the company that sold it to me and received a quick response and suggestion, which was that there's probably a fray at the end of the cord. The solution was to cut the end of the cord, put it back in the socket-thing, and then screw the nub back to the cable.

Voila! It works!!! However, I have bought another cable, just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom