strobe question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roswin

Reaction score
My gear is a c-50 zoom/PT-014. I'd like to add a strobe to my gear. I understand that there are no TTL flashes for this type of digital camera and so I need some suggestion how to choose for a compatible strobe (characteristics and features) without spending a huge amount of money.
Bye

roswin:
My gear is a c-50 zoom/PT-014. I'd like to add a strobe to my gear. I understand that there are no TTL flashes for this type of digital camera and so I need some suggestion how to choose for a compatible strobe (characteristics and features) without spending a huge amount of money.
Bye
An Inon D-180 would be my recommendation. The C-50 and PT-014 is a fairly small combination. The D-180 is small, light and compact and will cover most of your current needs. It has an intelligent pre-flash cancellation system and the fibre optical kit that comes with it is very well designed. It is an 'External Auto' strobe - sort of like a semi-auto system. The 'TTL' sensor is built into the strobe - you simple select an aperture on your C-50 and dial the same aperture number into the strobe and the strobe will automatically quench itself when the sensor thinks the correct exposure has been achieved. It also has 4 manual settings you can choose from if you want to over-ride the 'External Auto' system.
You will also need a tray and arm to mount the strobe.

Ditto the Inon D-180

I have the d180 strobe (it arrived yesterday) and it really is a terrific bit of gear - tiny but powerful and the focus light is very clever and extremely bright). It has auto functions at ISO 100 but the Olympus c5000z I have (PT 019 housing) goes from 80 - 160 ISO with no 100 setting. Would I be best to set at ISO 160; use the strobe on AUTO and then stop down the strobe output one or two EV????
I really only have the choice of operating the camera in "A" as at "M" setting the flash synch is only SLOW 1 or SLOW2 for some reason.

Thanks - Wiggsy.

Alan Wiggs:
I have the d180 strobe (it arrived yesterday) and it really is a terrific bit of gear - tiny but powerful and the focus light is very clever and extremely bright). It has auto functions at ISO 100 but the Olympus c5000z I have (PT 019 housing) goes from 80 - 160 ISO with no 100 setting. Would I be best to set at ISO 160; use the strobe on AUTO and then stop down the strobe output one or two EV????
I really only have the choice of operating the camera in "A" as at "M" setting the flash synch is only SLOW 1 or SLOW2 for some reason.

Thanks - Wiggsy.

Set the C5000 to ISO 80 when using it with the strobe to keep the noise level of your picture to its minimum. ISO 80 is less than half-stop less light than ISO 100 so depending on the scene, you might need to dial in a notch higher (clockwise) on the strobe than what you set on your camera - play around with it. You can also try the +1/4EV compensation switch located on the front of the strobe. I've generally found that even at ISO 64 the strobe tends to give out more light than required, so you may not need to compensate, in fact you may need to stop down a little.

SLOW1 and SLOW2 is telling the camera when to fire the flash when the shutter is open: SLOW1 = as soon as the shutter opens; SLOW2 = just before the shutter closes. In general you will be using a fast shutter speed so this won't affect your pics too much - leave it on SLOW1 for now. What will make a difference is the flash mode you select in 'A' shooting mode. The flash mode is set by pressing the flash mode button ( :lightning ) located on the left of the camera and turning the jog dial. Select 'Fill-in' ( :lightning symbol ) flash in 'A' shooting mode. This will make the camera select faster shutter speeds for you. You can only select SLOW in 'M' shooting mode.

I just checked the manual of the C5000. The lowest ISO is 50. I would use ISO 50 with the strobe wherever possible. ISO 50 is 1 fstop less light than ISO 100. ISO 80 is 1/3 less light than ISO 100.

Thanks - I'll have a play with it this weekend! I though ISO 50 might drop shutter spped down too low, but I'll give it a go. Just a different learning curve after 15 years with a Nikonos and Sunpak strobe.

Cheers!

Wiggsy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom