Strobe Settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MsParamedic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've taken the big step and went from a simple point and shoot camera to an Oly 5050 with a Y90 stobe.

I'm leaving for the Dry Tortugas in 3 days...and I'm trying to get a handle on camera and strobe settings. Can someone point me in the right direction for strobe settings?
(Full vs 1 vs 2 vs 3, etc)

Thanks!

Pat

heheheh.. LOL.. way to go Pat...
Sounds like something I'd do.. but you've made an excellant choice... just put it on Automatic and let it fly...
But seriously folks.. there should be a strobe rating with the package... since you won't be able to test it at home, you're first couple of dives will be a learning experience...

Typically, set the speed at 125, f-stop at 5.6 (middle), strobe at middle power? (you have 12 settings? I think? so 6?) and subject is apx 3' away... then see how it truns out.. in tropical waters, you're not trying to light up "The Darkness" - it's simply "Painting the Colors" on the subject.

When you see your first shot, you can adjust from there and that will get you a bench mark of sorts..
being digital you can tell and adjust for your nex shot... really kewl..
It will take a few dives to remember and get some sense, but you're on a roll now.. heheh.. don't stop..

have a good trip and bring some good pics..
Just for a reference??? LOL.. on film, for a beginner, you're lucky if you get 1-2 good shots on film... the odd decrease the more you shoot.. so hang in there..

Have fun...

Yep...FPoole's right. I had a YS90DX and if you'll start about 5 or 6 then dial it up or down from there, you'll get it. After 2-3 dives, you'll be a bit more comfortable with it. It's a great strobe!

Back from the trip...and loved the 5050! But let's just say Im still on that ole' learning curve! I have some pics that the colors are "washed out". So Im assuming that the strobe was too bright for those pics. The one thing I did do is after each dive write down all my settings...so maybe next time I'll have some kind of bench mark.

Once again...thanks for all the help everyone!

Fried Fish... heheh.. how kewl is that... (joking)

don't worry about those, you can touch them up in Photoshop LE or SE whatever?
but you got some photos, that's the important thing... now it's just practice-practice-practice...

good luck and post a few eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom