Strobe sych at higher shutter speeds ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calypsonick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The question: How is it that with my Oly C8080 PnS and a Sea&Sea YS 25 strobe triggered via a slave optical cable I could take photos with shutter speeds at 1/1000s wheras with my Oly E330 and dual Ikelite DS 125 strobes I am allowed only a max of 1/250s shutter speed in manual?? If I go up to 1/500s, the strobe output only covers part of the image. This is especially frustrating when trying to avoid blowing out sunballs in lower shutter speeds.

Any ideas on how to deal with this limitation ?

Thanks
Nick

calypsonick:
The question: How is it that with my Oly C8080 PnS and a Sea&Sea YS 25 strobe triggered via a slave optical cable I could take photos with shutter speeds at 1/1000s wheras with my Oly E330 and dual Ikelite DS 125 strobes I am allowed only a max of 1/250s shutter speed in manual?? If I go up to 1/500s, the strobe output only covers part of the image. This is especially frustrating when trying to avoid blowing out sunballs in lower shutter speeds.

Any ideas on how to deal with this limitation ?

Thanks
Nick

Nick

Our 8080 uses an “electronic shutter” meaning that the CCD sensor’s electronics is switched on and off at high speeds to expose the image and the CCD sensor is always looking through the lens. The DSLR is using a mechanical curtain shutter like the film SLRs which is much slower because it has to physically move out of the way to expose the image plus there is also a reflex mirror that has to filp out of the way as well.

The only way around this is smaller apertures and move the strobes closer or get higher wattage strobes.

Al

You're going to have to shoot at your maximum shutter speed (sometimes you can cheat by one - I can happily shoot at 1/320 though most of the literature says 1/250) and stop down that aperture.

F22 and 1/250 here.
18sun2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom