strobe vs flash for DC2000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Natalia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to buy the Sealife DC2000 as my first underwater photography/videography venture. Not looking into being a professional really, just want to produce good quality images and videos.

I'm set on having my set up with 2 strobes but it doesn't seem that Sealife has strobes on their website? Or is a strobe equivalent to flash?

If Sealife doesn't have any strobes themselves would I be able to set up the camera with a different company strobe?

recommendations welcome.
Thanks

SeaLife most certainly offers strobes for DC2000 - FLASH/STROBE - SeaLife Cameras

'Strobe' and 'flash' are more or less interchangeable terms, much like 'flashlight' and 'torch', although many prefer to avoid using 'flash' and 'flashlight' in order to avoid confusion - 'strobe' and 'torch' are much easier to tell apart.

I can see it possible to construe the small flash on the camera as THE flash, and the large external thing as the strobe.
If so, you want a Strobe, and you also want a focus light.

Seriously consider an Olympus TG4/5 and build from there. You get a MUCH better camera, for probably not much difference in price. To get good pictures, you need good lighting. That means a small strobe and close distances, or a more powerful strobe for things farther away. Water EATS light....fast.
Expect to be shocked by the price of a good strobe. If you are not, it's probably not much of a strobe. If you upgrade you can take a good strobe with you.

I can see it possible to construe the small flash on the camera as THE flash, and the large external thing as the strobe.
If so, you want a Strobe, and you also want a focus light.

Seriously consider an Olympus TG4/5 and build from there. You get a MUCH better camera, for probably not much difference in price. To get good pictures, you need good lighting. That means a small strobe and close distances, or a more powerful strobe for things farther away. Water EATS light....fast.
Expect to be shocked by the price of a good strobe. If you are not, it's probably not much of a strobe. If you upgrade you can take a good strobe with you.
There's a significant number of features in dc2000 that are superior to tg5. Probably the biggest one is the sensor is considerably larger and better (both). Olympus needs to release a new dive camera.

In summary:
The 12mp olympus sensor is 1/2.33" or 6.16mmx4.6mm (25 square millimeters)
The 20mp sealife sensor is 1" or 13.2mmx8.8mm (116 square millimeters)
Sealife has a better lens (f/1.8 vs f/2.0)
TG5 has better ISO at 100 vs 125 on the sealife. The faster lens on dc2000 should make up for this and then some.

I agree, a focus light will be very beneficial. One of the things that tends to be a struggle with dive cameras is auto focusing underwater, and the added light helps immeasurably with this.

Instead of a flash/strobe, you may want to consider starting out with the camera and the SeaLife Sea Dragon 2500 light combo, which is what I started out with. Gives you the advantage of continuous light for video, photography and a dive light for night diving/ illuminating the reef during the day. I have been very pleased with the results. Example found here: https://www.amazon.com/SeaLife-DC20...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070138221120&psc=1

Really? The Sealife cameras have improved THAT much? They used to be pretty mediocre.

It isn't perfect, I gather, with huge RAW write lag and no optical zoom... but the sensor is big.

... if only there was an underwater housing for M100 ...

Back
Top Bottom